Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 octane w/o ethanol or 91 with?

Old 06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

Default 87 octane w/o ethanol or 91 with?

There are several threads around that talk about which gas to use and a lot of the comments are "opinions" and not factually based; the recommend fuel for a gt is 87 octane; lets assume that is true, now 87 octane in my state is 10 - 12 cents more expensive than 89 octante -- but the 89 contains ethanol. My question is: will ethanol hurt the gt over time or not or will it hurt over time because it is 89 and not 87 or both? hey, any fact based comments are appreciated; all of us are affected. (this is strictly for non-mofified cars)
Old 06-29-2005, 03:11 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 87 octane w/o ethanol or 91 with?

All gas contains ethanol. The percentage is the only difference.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:17 PM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

well, i am referring to 10% in regard to this question; thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

taken from an american lung assoc report to the senate, jun 2000.

"Quite simply the big problem with ethanol use in gasoline is that it significantly increases volatility when mixed in gasoline at levels above 2 per cent by volume. Reducing gasoline volatility during hot summer weather is one of the most important strategies for improving summertime gasoline to reduce smog. Ethanol reduces carbon monoxide emissions but more importantly increases NOX emissions proported to harm the ozone layer. Bottom line: the reduction of CO in tailpipe emissions ontained by using ethanol isn summertime gasoline are not worth the increase in evaporation and the increases in NOX tailpipe emissions from a smog contribution point of view. Since the gasoline also contains toxic aromatics, such as benzene, these will evaporate more readily along with the ehtanol. while ethanol may delute the amount of benzene in agallon of gasoline, the amount of benzene that ends up in the ambient air due to increased evaporation from the fuel may be greater that if the ethanol were not added at all. if you have taken the time to read this i will add that ethanol deteriates rubber and plastic which is a considerable part of the fuel system of most cars.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

taken from an american lung assoc report to the senate, jun 2000.

"Quite simply the big problem with ethanol use in gasoline is that it significantly increases volatility when mixed in gasoline at levels above 2 per cent by volume. Reducing gasoline volatility during hot summer weather is one of the most important strategies for improving summertime gasoline to reduce smog. Ethanol reduces carbon monoxide emissions but more importantly increases NOX emissions proported to harm the ozone layer. Bottom line: the reduction of CO in tailpipe emissions obtained by using ethanol in summertime gasoline are not worth the increase in evaporation and the increases in NOX tailpipe emissions from a smog contribution point of view. Since the gasoline also contains toxic aromatics, such as benzene, these will evaporate more readily along with the ehtanol. while ethanol may delute the amount of benzene in agallon of gasoline, the amount of benzene that ends up in the ambient air due to increased evaporation from the fuel may be greater that if the ethanol were not added at all. if you have taken the time to read this i will add that ethanol deteriates rubber and plastic which is a considerable part of the fuel system of most cars.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Wldstng05
2nd Gear Member

Hey Huff.. we heard ya the first time...
Old 06-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

LOL..

If you read slow...

NOW you read TWICE as slow!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

sorry, it was unintentional on the duplication.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:29 PM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

so, was that an answer to my question? har to figure...does anyone else use th3 10 percent ethanol because it is cheaper? i wont if it hurts the engine; my baby is only a week old so i want t to start off on the right foot.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: vicmeldrew

so, was that an answer to my question? har to figure...does anyone else use th3 10 percent ethanol because it is cheaper? i wont if it hurts the engine; my baby is only a week old so i want t to start off on the right foot.
I dont' think you really have a choice. Depending on where you live, fuel will change mixtures depending on the season. I believe either Ethanol or Methanol are added in various % whether it's spring/summer or fall/winter. There was a problem with these additives back when there were leaded and unleaded gasolines because of the types of plastics and rubbers used in fuel systems and in carburetors but I haven't heard too much since then.

It shouldn't make a difference unless you go with 103 octane or 110 fuel. Those would require a tune on a newer car to keep from running a bad A/F mixture. In other words, it won't hurt your engine. Just don't go for the El Crapo all-gas-and-shop in the boonies. They will normally have bad gas (water or other garbage in the tanks) regardless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 octane w/o ethanol or 91 with?