Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to wash her?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

302me I know what you mean but sometimes I have no choice. I don't have shade on my property except in the garage and I don't want to get things soaked in there with a hose spraying or rinsing it down. I do the wash in the morning while the air is still cool and the sun not direct. Even so with the black color... well you know. lol

If I have help it's not a problem. I can dry it in time if my girl is around to wipe it down with me.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

what i do is i go in the shower then rub her down, oooooo you mean my car haha
i use either mothers or meguirs soap a nice soft sponge i do it in the shade to so i dont get water spots
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I've been using Griot products for some time. Little expensive but vry happy with the end results.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Mothers California Gold to wash, and Mothers Showtime between washings, as well as the rest of the Mothers detailing line- its all free--gotta love them sponsors
Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Sounds more like a "throw advertisements at me" thread....

Mother's clay bar kit.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

i love turtle wax ice polish and instant detailer but you guys that use the car wash are having better luck then me! i went from meguiars gold class to ice car wash figuring i'd like it as much as the rest of the line but I hate it! the stuff just doesn't sud up very well and after dunking the wash mitt in the bucket a couple of times it really starts to just go on like i'm using just water. maybe it's just me???
Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tungsten07
i love turtle wax ice polish and instant detailer but you guys that use the car wash are having better luck then me! i went from meguiars gold class to ice car wash figuring i'd like it as much as the rest of the line but I hate it! the stuff just doesn't sud up very well and after dunking the wash mitt in the bucket a couple of times it really starts to just go on like i'm using just water. maybe it's just me???
+1

I just use an obscene amount of soap in my 5-gallon bucket....enough suds for 6 washes haha
Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
With all due respect I'm a professional detailer and you are doing more harm than good going to a car wash UNLESS it's a touchless wash. Those scrubbing and spinning bristles swirl the HECK out of your finish which will then require a buffer to remove. Stay away from car washes and wash it yourself if possible in your driveway with a good car wash with plenty of lubricity and a soft microfiber cloth or sheepskin mitt. Then use an electric leaf blower to blow out all the nooks and crannies. Improper washing is responsible for the majority of swirled finishes.
I am too and automatic car washes keep me in business (side job now but was not the case in the past)
Originally Posted by OhioState87
To wash her, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. For detailing, well, a lot more products are involved.
I like that one ^^^^^
Originally Posted by Riptide
It frickin amazes me how fragile the clearcoat is on cars. Sneeze at it and it gets a hairline scratch.

Touchless if you must go to a wash. Otherwise, if you can wash at home, use a rinseless wash with microfiber towels to dry. Use a soft car wash mit to apply the water/solution. If the car is really filthy then use some car wash shoap like meguiar's or mother's and rinse it off with the hose. Just make sure to get it dry quick if you have hard tap water.

For glass use a waffle weave microfiber towel and stoner's invisible glass.
Thats because they are making the clearcoats harder then previously and it is not as forgiving.....is that right pascal? Read that somewhere. It has its benefits but everything will show.
Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
Optimum No Rinse!

Nice plug!!!!!!!!

All the others will do the trick and use the two bucket method.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Any waterless wash solution from Justin's line in Obsessivedetail.com
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
Any waterless wash solution from Justin's line in Obsessivedetail.com
the old man across the street has a 1968 corvette that he bought new, and for the last 41 years he takes a waterhose with no soap and gently washes his car and towels dry. his car looks amazing, only been waxed one time in 41 years.

My car, well, after seeing his, i have never used any soap on my car, i bought it new in feb 2007. never been waxed, only water and microfiber hand dryed.

no water spots, turns heads even at car shows.. the only thing i have ever used on it is turtle wax ice detailer before car shows.

Quick Reply: What do you use to wash her?