Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of 2010 Mustangs at the SoCal dealers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

To be honest I've shopped at Galpin and quite frankly they are not #1 in the US for 20 years for nothing. They do not give their cars away. I went in with X-Plan plus my rebates and they were content to let me walk. (X-Plan is a couple 100 over invoice.) I had been searching their inventory of mustangs since September and they've had 150 or so the whole time. The closest car to what I wanted had been there for months. For the uninitiated they provide the feeling of getting a deal without actually getting a spectacular deal.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I never said that Galpin was the best deal. What I did say is that they move a load of cars. They are the number one Ford dealer in the world - Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products. They also sell, Jag, Mazda, Astin Martin, Honda, Volvo, Lotus, Saturn(?).

I read in an industry publication of dealers that Galpin gross sales were on the order of $700 million per year. There are others that are bigger (like Penske) but not bigger in Ford products.

So the point is that 150 Mustangs on Galpin's lot is not the indicator you should be looking for on the 2010's sales. Look at other dealers and see how they are moving (or not moving) to be able to really see what is happening.

I guess, it doesn't matter to me much, since I am driving my 2010 now and don't really plan on dumping it anytime soon. But I do think the guys wanting a 2010 now will be able to get a good deal coming up if they are smart about it.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

No disrespect intended DEW. I love your ride :-) I completely agree anyone wanting a 2010 had better get to Galpin because they have THE best selection in the West.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I didn't intend to imply you meant any.

I was only pointing out that using Galpin as a berometer of how any car is doing sales wise, is kind not a good practive. They are in the 95th percentile for sure.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Slickvic_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW

So the point is that 150 Mustangs on Galpin's lot is not the indicator you should be looking for on the 2010's sales. Look at other dealers and see how they are moving (or not moving) to be able to really see what is happening.

But I do think the guys wanting a 2010 now will be able to get a good deal coming up if they are smart about it.

True. I originally began at the official Ford Mustang site to search existing inventory for Kona Blue GT premium coupe.
Surprisingly Ford's inventory search engine is terrible and would only me to search within my state.

Believe it or not, Autotrader.com allows me to search all new 2010 listing in every state. There are still a handful of them available configured the way I want.

The real challenge here is timing. My lease does not expire until April.
My plan is to get a 2010 configured for around $28k-30k out the door. I have read several postings here about the realistic purchasing price and have seen several dealers willing to sell in that range. I may even be able to get a better deal than that.

If there are none left by the time I am ready to write a check, then I can carpool for a few months with my wife until the 2011 models become available this summer. (And bend over without lubricant for the MSRP gouging party and 2011 price hike)
I am not trying to kid myself about the remaining 2010 inventory gamble.