Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Matte Black Stripe People, What do you use to clean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Starfire... I have been PMing you but just ignore them.
you answered my questions in here.

Just telling you so that you would know PM's don't pop up like on some forums.

p.s.
Im gonna send a friend request to ya
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by OhioState87
Looks like I won't try the NXT 2.0 then. I was only going to try it on a small area first, but I won't waste my time now. I just really couldn't think of anything else to try; it's not like there's a dedicated Vinyl Graphic Care product out there.

I did some searching around over on Meguiar's forums and there's plenty of threads asking the same thing: "What do I use on vinyl stripes?" I've seen more than a few people saying they've had success with a product called Gold Class Trim Detailer. Here's a couple threads about it: 1 and 2

You have to realize that the other Vinyl stripes are DIFFERENT from MATTE BLACK vinyl stripes. Care is NOT the same.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
You have to realize that the other Vinyl stripes are DIFFERENT from MATTE BLACK vinyl stripes. Care is NOT the same.
Lol, I'm talking about matte black too. I have a matte black rear deck delete from BSM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Lol sorry didn't even notice!

The only quick detailer I've found that is OK and I use on my spoiler and stripes (Lightly) is the Turtle wax ice, it's designed not to leave white residue. For the most part about flat stripes, wash and forget, if you want to protect 303 is what I use, there is also a matte finish armor all, but have never tried it.

Also there is a product called Back to Black, I used it once and tossed it, I had to use simple green to remove the streaks on my spoiler from it.

Last edited by Starfire; 06-26-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Lol, I'm talking about matte black too. I have a matte black rear deck delete from BSM.
I know... but what you posted were instructions for general vinyl stripes.

BSM does NOT have instructions for Matte Black in particular.
The instructions you receive are general.

That is why you are getting mixed up about using wax...
which is a NO NO on matte black.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Starfire
Lol sorry didn't even notice! The only quick detailer I've found that is OK and I use on my spoiler and stripes (Lightly) is the Turtle wax ice, it's designed not to leave white residue. For the most part about flat stripes, wash and forget, if you want to protect 303 is what I use, there is also a matte finish armor all, but have never tried it.

Also there is a product called Back to Black, I used it once and tossed it, I had to use simple green to remove the streaks on my spoiler from it.
Cool. I think I will buy a gallon of that 303.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if you'll need a gallon all I have it a small spray bottle, it doesn't take much, actually I use very little, just enough to wipe on from the towel.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iluvmycar
I know... but what you posted were instructions for general vinyl stripes.

BSM does NOT have instructions for Matte Black in particular.
The instructions you receive are general.

That is why you are getting mixed up about using wax...
which is a NO NO on matte black.
I don't have anything mixed up, I'm just going off of what's provided, and some logic. For one, if specific instructions are required for matte black, then why doesn't BSM include those and also have them posted on their website?

Second, since there really isn't, like I said, a dedicated Vinyl Graphic Care product, or even a Matte Black Vinyl Graphic Care product, you got to think outside the box. So going from BSM's provided instructions, they said to wax. I didn't think that was a good idea, which is why I mentioned NXT 2.0 as merely that, an idea, because it doesn't actually contain any wax. It's all synthetic polymers.

What it comes down to is there are no dedicated products and, IMO, BSM should be providing specific instructions for matte black.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by OhioState87
I don't have anything mixed up, I'm just going off of what's provided, and some logic. For one, if specific instructions are required for matte black, then why doesn't BSM include those and also have them posted on their website?

Second, since there really isn't, like I said, a dedicated Vinyl Graphic Care product, or even a Matte Black Vinyl Graphic Care product, you got to think outside the box. So going from BSM's provided instructions, they said to wax. I didn't think that was a good idea, which is why I mentioned NXT 2.0 as merely that, an idea, because it doesn't actually contain any wax. It's all synthetic polymers.

What it comes down to is there are no dedicated products and, IMO, BSM should be providing specific instructions for matte black.

I agree with you YES BSM should provide specific care for the matte black.
I think that they have just made a goof-up and not thought to do that.

But what I meant was that because they did NOT.. that you had no way of knowing the instructions did not include care for matte black and therefore perhaps thought that since they said to wax them... they meant ALL stripes.

They are not giving specific care for matte black and thus causing confusion.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

You're right, people have no way of knowing. I originally just assumed they were for all stripes (until you said you talked to them personally), and how could you not? They make no mention that the instructions don't apply to matte black.

You said they told you what not to do (wax), but they didn't metion what to do?

Quick Reply: Matte Black Stripe People, What do you use to clean?