Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car won't pass inspection???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Default My car won't pass inspection???

I returned the car back to the stock tune this morning like the previous owner told me to do when I take it in to the dealer or to get an inspection. After I put it back to stock, I drove to PepBoys to get some Royal Purple and an oil filter for him to change the oill while I was out there. After I got in the car from Pepboys I noticed the check engine light on, so I drove it to his shop and before I pulled in I reset the check engine light with the Diablo Tuner, no, I didn't look at the code, I know, stupid mistake. Well, I pulled in and I told him what happened, I have been going to him for years for service. He explained the car wouldn't pass inspection now because the computer needs to adjust or something because it was recently reset. He plugged his handheld diagnostic machine in and it showed all the reasons why it wouldn't pass, such as O2 senser failure, catalytic failure, there were others but I forgot. He told me to call the previous owner to see how he got it inspected in the past. I called him, he said that he would check with Ford who did all the work on the car for him. He called me right back and said it is something to do with the mass air intake? I am not too good with the performance mods on our cars, so I asked what did they do? He said Ford took off the C & L intake and replaced it with a stock one from another car and than it passed. He is looking to see if he has the stock intake. My question is, that if I reinstall the stock intake how long will I have to drive it stock, assuming the check engine light dosen't come back on? Also, do I have to reinstall the stock pullies too, or will the just by changing the air intake will that be sufficient? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to make it pass?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Couple of things

Did you re-load the stock tune after returning your car to stock? If you did, then leaving the C&L intake on could have confused the computer because of the variance in your air/fuel ratio. I'm pretty sure a code can get thrown in that instance. You don't want to have an aftermarket intake running on the stock ECU tune, unless the intake itself does not require a re-tune. I know the C&L Street has a no-tune-required insert. Did you have that by any chance? If not, your CEL was probably caused by the intake.

If you did NOT return the tune to stock, your tune itself probably precluded you from passing inspection...as for your CEL, I can't say in this circumstance.

Hope this helps at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
cad316
1st Gear Member

Since that C&L intake needs a tune to coexist with the computer, put the stock intake on. And when you reload the stock tune, you have to drive it atleast 200-500 miles to reset the catalytic failure. Trust me, i just went thru this...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Put on the stock air box and drive it around.

Problem solved.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 AM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cad316
Since that C&L intake needs a tune to coexist with the computer, put the stock intake on. And when you reload the stock tune, you have to drive it atleast 200-500 miles to reset the catalytic failure. Trust me, i just went thru this...
I also just went through this and I was told to drive 50 miles, I did and it passed.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Aftermarket tunes prevent the PCM from performing readiness tests on some sensors and systems, which in turn speeds up the PCM processing power and helps to increase the engine's performance. This causes errors when the PCM is checked for codes during emissions inspection. Reinstalling the stock tune and the stock air intake, and then driving for 50 miles(+/-) will allow the PCM to continue performing all of the readiness tests, which will also clear any codes that were present.
As suggested by others, the CEL was most likely caused by reinstalling the stock tune with the C&L CAI still installed.

Last edited by ski; 07-01-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Aftermarket tunes prevent the PCM from performing readiness tests on some sensors and systems, which in turn speeds up the PCM processing power and helps to increase the engine's performance. This causes errors when the PCM is checked for codes during emissions inspection. Reinstalling the stock tune and the stock air intake, and then driving for 50 miles(+/-) will allow the PCM to continue performing all of the readiness tests, which will also clear any codes that were present.
As suggested by others, the CEL was most likely caused by reinstalling the stock tune with the C&L CAI still installed.
true, but not 100% true. I think a lot has to do with the county, and what they check for. I passed a state inspection with emissions with JLT intake/ 93 oct. tune 4 weeks ago.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I passed inspection back in March with my BBK intake, tune, and CMDP's. All I had to do was load an inspection specific tune that Brenspeed wrote me. Its basically just an 87 octane tune with the o2 sensors turned back on.

To the OP, just put your original air box back on, along with the factory tune and drive for a while. Just like everyone else said. Dont worry about the pulleys. Disconnecting the battery for a bit, may work in lieu of driving around. Good luck. It doesn't sound like you have a real problem.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but, will our cars not pass inspection with a cai and tune installed. I do not have a cai or tune but am considering one, not sure if I want to go thru all that every time I go to get it inspected.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Yes they will pass emissions with a tune and intake. I have a supercharger on my car that i cant just take off and it passes texas emissions. Its just the tuner has keep the 02 on.

Originally Posted by TEXASGT/CS
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but, will our cars not pass inspection with a cai and tune installed. I do not have a cai or tune but am considering one, not sure if I want to go thru all that every time I go to get it inspected.

Quick Reply: My car won't pass inspection???