Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI for those who want to change their own oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
icody
1st Gear Member

When I bought my 2010 GT I also paid for 5 years worth of Oil Changes. I have a 1969 SC/Rambler that I crawl under all the time..I wanted this to be a fun driver. :-)
Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Mark25
1st Gear Member

icody...I think it's great that you have 5 years worth of oil changes...but be sure to "mark" your oil filter before the oil/filter change and be sure to check your dipstick after the dealer does their oil change. Lots of times, they give the oil changes to the "new" tech and it's been known that they've forgotten to change the filter and/or over or underfilled, or used the improper weight oil, etc....not to mention overtightened the drain plug. If you can, you should really do the change yourself...remember, the oil is the lifeblood of your engine (IMHO).
I still change the oil in all of my vehicles at my age (including my 01 Vette, which is a real pain...) remember, trust no one.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Mark25
icody...I think it's great that you have 5 years worth of oil changes...but be sure to "mark" your oil filter before the oil/filter change and be sure to check your dipstick after the dealer does their oil change. Lots of times, they give the oil changes to the "new" tech and it's been known that they've forgotten to change the filter and/or over or underfilled, or used the improper weight oil, etc....not to mention overtightened the drain plug. If you can, you should really do the change yourself...remember, the oil is the lifeblood of your engine (IMHO).
I still change the oil in all of my vehicles at my age (including my 01 Vette, which is a real pain...) remember, trust no one.

hey mark i take offense to that because i am a lube guy at my local ford dealer and i know for a fact that at my dealer we have a dedicated lube area where all of the oil changes go so there is no "new" tech problems going on and i have NEVER forgotten to replace an oil filter or used the wrong weight oil or let a car go that was either overfilled or underfilled
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Ohh snap!