Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10 gears - won't spin

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think it would be useful to know whether WOT is sensed from pedal position or throttle position. Perhaps we need to be interested in how rapidly the throttle plate gets to what definition of WOT. Then we'll have a better idea if/when/how fast the A/F ratio is moving away from the 14.7-ish that the O2 sensors and the EPA like.

A scan tool is probably necessary - the Actron 9145 has the capability of reading and displaying quite a variety of data in real time. There's a TPS%, a throttle CMD, and several 'ACC' parameters that can be viewed, though the numbers can all change rather rapidly.

Norm
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If you have an aeroforce gauge you can set both up to see at the same time.

Also i did an experiment today. Went for a couple errands and here is what i found.

Conditions of weather are Perfect sunny day at 85 degreess.

after the car had been running for maybe 4 minutes, i tried rolling in first at 3k and hammered it. The tire broke loose and screamed for a few seconds, traction control did kick in and then i took off. pavement was typical road but not black asphalt or anything.

Later after driving for a while and the car was heat soaked basically. same basic road conditions. same setup except the car chirped them, no traction control and took off.

car was parked and cool and then tested again after startup 5 minutes of so and same road. This time i started at 2K. Car didnt do anything until about 4.5k then the tires let loose and spun for a few seconds and i let off.

keep in mind i have full suspension and 285 on GT500 wheels so i am sure with closer to stock suspension and much lighter/smaller tires the results would be more or less a smoke show with TCS off.

Like stated, the cars wont do it very easily without getting into higher RPMs where the Torq curve is much higher. I know it the past i have done this and it wouldnt do it and it was probably because i was setting to low on the tach and the road/weather was not near as nice.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

IDK I've always had a problem with traction ever since I got the 4.10s. It bothered me enough to make me get new rims to fit big tires on them. Forget about traction in the cold but even in summer temps with the stockers I could not punch it from a roll(3-4k) in first without breaking loose. Mind you I could bog down and floor it from 2k and just squeal at high rpm. Also launching would always spin too(aggressively but not crazy). The new nittos do much better but I still get a small chirp from second even in the heat.