Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover for Street Parking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
onedesigntalk

They have some decent ones from empire. their website has a computer generation tool so you can see what the cover looks like on and off the car pretty cool.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com/
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
mustangrider48

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
This is the cover you want. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...Q5fAccessories Ya its pricey but its one of if not the best out there. I have this on my car which sits outside all week rain or shine. I show my car every weekend and since I got this (and a 2nd car) I have not had to wash my car. I just take off the cover dust the car off, hit it with some detailer and I'm off to the show!
Can you post another link to that cover? That posting is no longer available.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

aren't those steps backwards? Shouldn't you dust and use detail spray BEFORE you put the cover on? If you drive around and then throw your car cover on you are risking having the dirt and dust scratch your clearcoat. Plus you're getting the inside of the cover filthy. These things are a pain to wash. I have to scrub mine down in the shower and let it dry on my balcony.

As far as covers having some sort of way for parking enforcement to see your windshield stickers, I've never heard of one. I take it you have to have a permit hanging from your rearview mirror? Check your parking enforcement website for any solution.

But I was wondering how you'd get the cable under the car if you're parked on a street next to a curb... I have to toss the cable under my car to get it to slide over to the other side so I can lock the cover. But this is in my parking space with a smooth cement floor. If you have a nice cover you can leave your car outside for long periods... but you really need to have it locked. A nice car cover will be stolen very quickly.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

^+11111. You would need a lock and also know that if its windy the cover can come off or if tied down can rotate from bottom to top.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangrider48
Can you post another link to that cover? That posting is no longer available.
Sure here you go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLF-152-22290/

i have this one. its a wolf automotive, which is a evolution IV cover. my car sits outside on the street, it gets rained on, and gets windy sometimes. it stays on in light wind, but any wind over 25-30 mph it gets pulled off. it is pretty water resistant, but heavy rain it'll get through some. it is definately better than no cover, thats for sure. i also have one from ebay for my fox and that one stays on better bc it has straps front and back but is not conformed to the body with side rear view mirror pockets.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
aren't those steps backwards? Shouldn't you dust and use detail spray BEFORE you put the cover on? If you drive around and then throw your car cover on you are risking having the dirt and dust scratch your clearcoat. Plus you're getting the inside of the cover filthy. These things are a pain to wash. I have to scrub mine down in the shower and let it dry on my balcony.

As far as covers having some sort of way for parking enforcement to see your windshield stickers, I've never heard of one. I take it you have to have a permit hanging from your rearview mirror? Check your parking enforcement website for any solution.

But I was wondering how you'd get the cable under the car if you're parked on a street next to a curb... I have to toss the cable under my car to get it to slide over to the other side so I can lock the cover. But this is in my parking space with a smooth cement floor. If you have a nice cover you can leave your car outside for long periods... but you really need to have it locked. A nice car cover will be stolen very quickly.
You should dust or wipe your car down every time before you put your car cover on. Like you said, dirt can get into the fabric and cause scratches.

I use a Golf Ball Retriever with an extension to tie down my cover. I tie the rope on one end and slide it under the car to the other side. It should work with a cable too.

As far as wind, mine will take up to 60 mph and stay on if it's tied down.