Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A more exotic sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM
07torchredgt
2nd Gear Member

Ok well... Let me chime in here for a second.

"when did the z become exotic" Its not... but that doesn't mean it didn't have one of the most exotic sounding exhaust notes of a mainstream car. It sounds incredible (the last gen in particular... An exotic vowel sounding woahhh that was very distinct. Definitely one of my favorite exhaust sounds out there..

The op wants a more refined, exotic, and sophisticated sound as opposed to the old school hell yeah git er done flowmaster sound that everone with a 3v chases but never quite attains...

Our 4.6 is actually closer to this sound than the old school 5.0 sound of the past. Its a high revver (especially with a tune) just like a lot of euro v8's. It has a metallic higher pitched sound , like exotic v8's.. And lacks the distinct rumble of the old 5.0's and 2 and 4 valves of the past...

Aside from the engine which makes the sound in the first place (And our v8's arent too far off stock from the sound the OP is looking for) What makes the tone he is after...

Well... I would say the most important element is the X pipe. It evens out the tone even more, lends a higher pitched sound and generally makes it sound more modern... High flow cats are a must, but beware a set up that is too high flow. THis will cause trumpeting, or at best make the exhaust sound too wide open, exposing the true sound of our v8 and making the setup unrefined. a pypes splice in x pipe and some magnaflow high flow cats would be a good choice... A bassani catted x would be too loud and unrefined for your goal here...

As for the mufflers, chambered style mufflers ( Macs, flows etc ) are not the direction you should be going... You need a smoother sound, and you should look into straight through mufflers... Borla stingers, Corsa touring or extreme, or pypes mid mufflers are good choices... However I think you would like the sound of zoomer mufflers... THey have a distinct zoom zoom toned down sound and they are a favourite of charger, challenger , hemi drivers...
So my answer would be... Moderately agressive catted x pipe + zoomers. A tune is a must to get the high revs, and a metal (not plastic) cold air intake will add some of that exotic sound to your setup via induction noise. Do that and a guarantee you will be close as hell to your sound...
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Heres what you want......longtubes + highflow catted x + Corsa mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1C5bQ2yjzI

This is perfection IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20Sjp0k8Jw
Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

This is all you need to do! enjoy!

Car specs

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/projects.html

Quick vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...shd_143942.htm

Last edited by Vertigo; 07-16-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: a second link
Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

Ive found (from watching clips on the net) that the 3V motors are really tricky to make sound good. I think they sound good stock, but not quite aggressive enough and a touch to quiet at WOT. But to be honest, every aftermarket exhaust Ive heard for them sounds very "cheap". Always too crackly and poppy. It makes it sound broken. I dont think the "muscle car" sounds works for them, either. Something is always off. When I hear an old carbed V8 rumbling around, I get a smile on my face. When I hear a 2v stang scream by, I get a smile on my face. Mercedes V8s sound fantastic to me. When I hear an aftermarket exhaust 3V, I dont get the same sensation. In my opinion, the best tones Ive heard on a 3V was from the cop mustang in Transformers, and the clip posted by NJ3. Any more clips of that, NJ3?

You probably shouldnt listen to me, though. Most of my friends dont agree with my tastes, lol
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Catted frpp xpipe with GTAs.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

High-flow cats on an H-pipe with resonators and Borla stingers.

Here's a nice Borla stinger clip of mine....stock H-pipe though.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=DSCN1135.flv
Old 07-17-2009, 04:01 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

mellows got the right idea...go and listen to different exhausts because youtube doesnt always sound right
Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

it sounds way diff in person youtube just gives you an idea
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

how's this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk1nGLSAFk
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

I like the mild crackling and popping. Sounds very nice. I went with a v8 mainly from watching ALMS and speed gt. After hearing those amazing c6rs and ford gt and what not, I was converted. I will never go back to a 4 cyl!!!!!

Quick Reply: A more exotic sound?