Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOTHERF'ING RATTLE IN THE REAR/PASSENGER AREA

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KTownGT
Didn't you mention some guy was standing on your exhaust to fix them back when you got rear ended?

I'd check the hangers on your exhaust; those might be rubbing something.

Word, Jason I told you this on Facebook
Old 07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
luckey13

Well, anyone fix the squeaking prob? I have not! Anything? Bueller?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Drewmotion

I have this too, it is super annoying!!! I thought it might be the spare, but no, I thought it might be the piece of junk cardboard cover for the trunk area, no.... still haven't found it.

It started out minor, just when I'd start the engine, now it's almost continuous. I have to turn the radio up just to drown it out! I really love my car in so many ways, but I'll tell you what Ford did a real crappy job putting the interior together... and I thought my 2000 GT had rattles.

If anyone finds this illusive beast of a rattle, please let us know!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Try taking out the "floor" of the trunk. You know, the carpeted plywood that separates the useable part of the trunk from the spare tire. Mine was bouncing around in places and banging against the sheet metal. I put foam tape on all the spots where the plywood was banging against the car. This solved it for me. Anyway, if you take out the trunk floor and drive around, you'll know immediately whether or not this is the source of your rattle. Good luck.

These cars are f***ing rattletraps.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Check your rear shocks to make sure they are torqed correctly. I had an annoying rattle and that was the culprit. There is a metal locking tab on the bolt and if its not torqued down will rattle like crazy!!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
05redfirepearlGT
1st Gear Member

I had one that drove me crazy. Sounded like loose heat shields on the cats. Drove me nuts. Had the thing on jack stands 4 times pulling heat shields. Checked the trunk thing, the strap underthe gas tank, shocks, exhaust hangers, you name it.

THen one day right here on Mustang Forums a guy posts the problem solve to my epic.

Turns out the sperator plate located between the tranny and the engine block was making contact with the hub on the crank shaft. This noise would be heard only between 1000-2000 RPMS and only in gear. It would NEVER occur with the clutch pushed in or the car in neutral. you could rev all day and nothing. Ford thought I was nuts until I showed them the service report so kindly posted with the resolve.

The shop dropped the tranny and sure enough they could see the interference marks opnthe crank hub and the shiny spot on the serprerator plate. THey ground out a section and the car has been quiet ever since. THey even covered 80% of the cost though the car was just out of warranty. I bought the car two and a half years old with only 3000 miles on it. The problem became noticable at about 12000.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

AM... calm down and haz teh sekz with ur GF... o wait ...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Originally Posted by wolfpup
AM... calm down and haz teh sekz with ur GF... o wait ...
LMFAO, aware.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM
08MachGT
2nd Gear Member

Default rattle fix

had one that started similary after i installed a rear strut tower brace. the brace pushed the floor cardboard back against the rear tail light plastic covers. come to find the little thumb screw lock nut things are just a cheap plastic threaded onto the tail light studs. they strip very easliy, almost a one time use. if they back off far enough, they will rattle on the rear sheetmetal through the tail lamp studs and sound like the rear trunk is rattling/tearing apart. it would only do it at certain rpms with the muffler delete exhaust i have.

good luck, hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I have a weird squeaking in/on my back seats. It comes and goes, I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason regarding when it will happen again. It sounds like plastic ticking against plastic right smack dab in the middle of the backseat. I have long arms (I'm 6'4), so if it happens I can reach back and push the middle of the seats and it lessens the noise a good bit. So this morning I lowered my back seats to open the passenger area to the trunk... no rattle at all and the commute really wasn't much louder at all. Going to see if I can pin point the rattle with some help from a friend but if I can't, at least I have a bandaid for now. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOTHERF'ING RATTLE IN THE REAR/PASSENGER AREA