Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Pros and Cons

Old 07-03-2005, 08:41 PM
riff

Default Extended Warranty Pros and Cons

Has anyone gotten an extended warranty on their new Mustang? If so, how much did you pay? I was thinking about getting the 7/75,000 but after hearing the price, $1550, I lean toward it not being worth it. I'd like to hear opinions. Pros and Cons.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:08 PM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Extended Warranty Pros and Cons

I could not get anything fixed on our 02 F-150 during the 3/36 warranty, they would keep it 2-3 days at a time and say we cant find anything wrong with it. Tried 3 different dealers, I had to fix it myself both times. They will always try to get out of fixing anything they can.
One dealer claimed they replaced parts but later another dealer checked the repair history and there was none.

Getting something fixed under the extended warranty would probably be even harder.
$1550 for 4 more years of aggravation?, 99% of all extended warranties are a bad investment.
Very rarely will you come out ahead

At $1550 plus deductables you would have to have an awful lot go wrong with it and then you have to try to make them fix it.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I also purchased the extended warranty. Those cool things we like about the GT are expensive littlie goodies Fellow says he fixed his stuff himself. I also fix thing myself. But those computer things and "auto" things, electronic and electric things. I decided to spend the money. I have had some things "go south" on me recently, things that should not have, but did. I think at this time, I'm a beliver in extended warranties.

I ride a Yamaha FJR1300ABS, bought the warranty for that also.

ORIGINAL: riff

Has anyone gotten an extended warranty on their new Mustang? If so, how much did you pay? I was thinking about getting the 7/75,000 but after hearing the price, $1550, I lean toward it not being worth it. I'd like to hear opinions. Pros and Cons.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:13 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I have bought an extended warranty twice in my life before, and both times they paid for themselves at around 50K - 60K miles. BTW, I bought a 6-yr/100K mile warranty for my 05 Stang, and it was less than $1550.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

My 6 year/72k mile (fully transferable) warranty was just over a grand. It really depends on how long you think you'll be keeping the car.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:32 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

I bought the 6 year for the piece of mind that if anything did happen with the new 4.0 engine - it would be covered. Personally I think Ford is getting their act together and making cars that will last for a while - hopefully giving Toyota and Honda a run for the money.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:00 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I turned down the extended offered by the dealership... it was somewhere in the $1500 range... they offered the add it into the first years financing... but then I would have had to use them for that too...

I have always gone into the dealership KNOWING where my money is coming from... and the difference between the last car I bought, (02 WRX bought in spring 01) and now is amazing... I got over 3% less on the rate this time... my second car payment is only $50 more than the first...
Old 07-12-2005, 06:42 PM
riff

Still seeking opinions.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
MyFirstPony
1st Gear Member

I have always gotten the extended warranty, just in case something major were to happen. One big repair, and the thing can pretty well pay for itself.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:13 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

I extended mine to 5/75000 so that I wouldn't have to worry. It may not pay for itself, but it is good peace of mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Pros and Cons