Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 audio noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Dobieman

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Okay, so after doing some digging with the core radio and sound engineering team, there's some news to share.

The cause of the problem is a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) issue from Clarion (the supplier for the Shaker 500 system), that affects the Audio Control Module. It has already been fixed for Job2 Mustangs (second production batch), but for everyone that has a Job1 Mustang with this issue, it's going to require a trip to the service department.

The problem requires both a hardware AND a software fix, so unfortunately, the entire ACM is going to need to be replaced. I'm not sure if Ford has a TSB out for it or not, so in the event your dealer service rep gives you that glassy-eyed stare, here's what they'll need to do:

Replace the ACM.

Plain and simple. Make sure that they get a replacement part that is a Job2-batch part, so that the exact same problem doesn't get re-installed in your vehicle.

That SHOULD fix the problem. If you have this done, please post and let us know if the problem goes away.

This is why I will buy a Ford and not a Chrysler, a company that stands behind the product and makes it right.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
tomz

Originally Posted by AJ_68
So who wants to be the first guinnea pig?

I might bring my car in on Monday, but I want to know 100% that the new ACM is "job2" before installation. If I need to get it replaced more than once I'm not going to be happy.
Without a TSB, the keys as I see it:

1. Will the service department know if they have a "job2 Audio Control Module"?
2. Will they have authorization to change it?
3. Will they be able to do the software update FordEngineer refers to?
4. Will they be able to do all this without damaging anything else? (Sorry for my paranoia.)

Again - all that is WITHOUT a TSB.

Tomz
Old 07-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I'm taking my car in tomorrow morning. They won't have the part in stock so I should get it back the same day. I've printed out the info from FordEngineer I'm hoping they just listen to what we know and don't try to diagnose the issue themselves.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

@ tomz:

1. That's the part I worry about, too. I'm going to check on Monday to see if they have different part numbers (though I fear they don't). Maybe there's something on the label... I would like to think that as soon as it was known that there were bad J1 ACMs, that they were pulled from parts depots and J2 ACMs put in their place, but because of the timing, I'm not sure if that's happened.
2. This is where things get gray for me (I don't work with FCSD and therefore don't understand the authorization process, though I'm sure there is one, and that it's ridiculously stupid). To AJ_68's point, if they try to 'diagnose it themselves' and can't get anything to work, I can only hope they try this and find that it does work.
3. The software update is taken care of by installing the new ACM module (the new software is already loaded onto it).
4. If I remember correctly, the ACM is a 'black box' with a molex-style wiring harness going to it, and few screws holding it in place, behind the dash/console. I would hope the service techs don't screw anything up getting to it.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

How can you tell if you have job1 ACM or a job2 ACM? Sorry if I missed this point!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Just got back from my local Ford dealership. The first question the tech asked is "well what are you doing with your volume at 0?". Typical. Anyway, the car is back in my garage. They are hesitant to replace the part without knowing for sure if it's a JOB1 or JOB2 piece. I can understand this - I don't want them throwing new hardware in the car if it's not going to fix the situation. The dealership is going to call some contacts on Monday to see if they can specify a "JOB2" ACM.

FordEngineer: I see that you're going to do some research on Monday to help us out regarding the part numbers and what not. I REALLY appreciate that! I think I speak for everyone when I say you're really our only hope, as the dealers are pretty clueless and I highly doubt a TSB will be released. Basically, if I can tell this dealership what part number to order, they will do it. If there's no way to distinguish a JOB1 ACM from a JOB2 ACM then I'll probably just wait several months before taking it back to the dealership - hopefully by then the JOB1 ACMs would be out of the pipeline.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM
tomz

Default Shaker 500 audio noise

Just got back from my local Ford dealership. The first question the tech asked is "well what are you doing with your volume at 0?". Typical.
For those not sure about this noise and just to
I hear this noise ANYTIME I am listening with the engine turned off. It is audible in the space between songs, it is audible in dead space between spoken words. The point of turning the volume to 0 or 1 bar is to more easily demonstrate the noise to the service department.

FordEngineer: I see that you're going to do some research on Monday to help us out regarding the part numbers and what not. I REALLY appreciate that!
ABSOLUTELY! Thank you FordEngineer!

Tomz
Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomz
I hear this noise ANYTIME I am listening with the engine turned off. It is audible in the space between songs, it is audible in dead space between spoken words. The point of turning the volume to 0 or 1 bar is to more easily demonstrate the noise to the service department.
Exactly
Old 07-25-2009, 08:03 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I feel for all those experiencing the problem. Sucks to have a new car and have problems already. But there is a bright side...you could be driving a Camaro and have your tranny crap itself!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Larry1014

I can live with this but if they come up with a cure that will be great. Having too much fun driving it to think about radio yet. I have been just listening to the motor and new flowmasters I just put on. That's music to my ears.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 audio noise