Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 audio noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

Just got off the phone with the Ford Dealer here in Vegas about my the radio noise on my 2010 GT. The technician that serviced placed a call to tech support (hotline reports) and they responded that this is an acceptable fault and would not be fixed for this model. I will get more clarification when I pick up the car later today.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

Here is the official decision: "Static concern from audio is considered normal characteristic of Job 1 Build Mustangs."
Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Amazing. Totally weak Ford, totally weak.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
tetter868

Default Audio Noise

Bought my 2011 GT 3 days ago, and yes, the car is awesome but I noticed the audio static right away. I'm a test engineer, and I ran a local sound company providing live sound and lighting for local live bands since the 80's. I can't help going into troubleshooting mode when I hear something wrong that most people miss. So what I call unacceptable Ford Motor Co. calls "commercially acceptable"? Here we go again. This is a design flaw or a manufacturing process that's too expensive to fix. They're not going to fix it or help us with honest info to fix it ourselves.

Here's what I found in the last 3 days. It's interesting that everyone's Shaker 500 is only noisy if they have the non-nav units. I have the non-premium trim 2011 GT, so my audio system is missing more than nav. It's bare bones, with what I assume to be at least 3 unterminated inputs. No NAV, no Sirius receiver, & no blue tooth receiver. Yet i have the buttons. I have the AUX but without it plugged into something, it's another unterminated input. Unterminated input cables are noise antennas. It's my guess the cables still get connected to the head unit at the factory, and the missing hardware was something the system wasn't originally designed to accommodate. My noise is really bad because I have more unterminated inputs.

But there's also a software glitch because when the unit powers up, it matters what mode it's in. It's probably running a self-cal on the input level. With no input, the gain goes up, and so does the noise. Cycle power with unit in FM mode on a strong station, the static decreases dramatically to almost being inaudible. Reset power in a mode with missing hardware, Aux, Sat, Blue tooth, and wow, my static goes crazy and won't stop till I cycle the power again with mode to FM. Cycle power in CD mode is not as good as FM. The CD delays playing and the level sets to hear noise.

So what I've been looking for is a list of all the head unit's control code sequences, (push key this and that to do special operations). I hate the thought of bastardizing the dash with aftermarket gear and trim kits that destroy the interior's integrity. I love the car. Didn't think I'd be tearing it apart the 1st week. I might try pulling the unit and grounding the unused inputs. Here's a valuable how-to video link on removing it. http://www.motorz.tv/blog/2736/mustang-stereo-system/

Sorry for the book. And thanks for all the valuable info here. I pretty much used this forum exclusively to help me make up my mind on buying what I did.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
mbyers

tetter868, I think you might be on to something there. Please keep us posted as you learn more.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM
adonaghy

Tetter. Thanks for your work on this. Just a note. I have seen mentioned several times that this noise does not exist on the systems with Nav. At least in my case that is NOT true. I have Nav in my 2010 GT500 system and I noticed the noise the first day I bought it. Thats how I found this forum by googling the problem that night.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
dconfer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adonaghy
Tetter. Thanks for your work on this. Just a note. I have seen mentioned several times that this noise does not exist on the systems with Nav. At least in my case that is NOT true. I have Nav in my 2010 GT500 system and I noticed the noise the first day I bought it. Thats how I found this forum by googling the problem that night.
I have the nav system also and I have the noise. I can even hear the radio bleeding thru when i have it set for usb and pause the music.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Philster01

I have a 2011 GT premium with 500 shaker w/o nav and thought one of my front speakers was partially blown Now I know it is the same sound reported on here. I hear it on Sirius mainly when someone is talking, not a song. Then certain songs on my i-phone thru USB. I was shopping for new door speakers thinking they were the culprit. I came here to see what models were mentioned and found this thread. Guess new speakers may sound better, but will not remove annoying sound.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
tetter868

Update. My dealer in Baltimore, Norris Ford, replaced my audio head unit with a new one and this fixed my problem. The factory had one question, was the noise present with the car not running. Answer was yes. And with that, they agreed to replace it.

The problem was heat related, in that when the outside temp was in the 40's, and I drove around with the windows down, no problem. When warm, I found the problem was localized to the left front and right rear channels, snap, crackle, pop, like blown speakers, but it was the amp.

The new system sounds great.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tetter868
Update. My dealer in Baltimore, Norris Ford, replaced my audio head unit with a new one and this fixed my problem. The factory had one question, was the noise present with the car not running. Answer was yes. And with that, they agreed to replace it.

The problem was heat related, in that when the outside temp was in the 40's, and I drove around with the windows down, no problem. When warm, I found the problem was localized to the left front and right rear channels, snap, crackle, pop, like blown speakers, but it was the amp.

The new system sounds great.
This sounds different than the noise we're describing.

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 audio noise