Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle-Back Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Default Axle-Back Install

Quick question??? Putting GTAs on 09 GTCS...got the first on centered and bloted, but for the life of me could not get the nipple all the way down to the "stopping point" on the muffler...if you drew a line straight across the muffler opening, the nipple is inside of that, call it flush with the top of the opening, but not all the way down...I'll work on pics, but how important is it to get it all the way???

1. I loosened the midpipe clamp and pushed with all my mite, to no avail.
2. The one side I did do (sounds nice compared to the other side = stock!!) I did not check for leaks with my hand...I will tonight...
3. FOR GOD'S SAKE if you are doing this install, listen to TacoBill and everyone else and invest in a ratcheting 13mm...I initially didn't, so my install was paused for a trip to sears
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

PM sent.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Yeah ratcheting wrenches have saved my *** on more than one occasion. Got mine with the pivoting head, too. Awesome.

I've taken mufflers off and put them on my car about a dozen times in the past 72 hours, and all I can say is that it depends on how much of the muffler pipe is into the over-axle pipe. If you have a *reasonable* amount of one pipe in the other, as long as it's clamped tight enough, it shouldn't cause any problems. That nipple wasn't completely against the stop point on my buddy's mufflers, and he had no problems. His were installed by a shop.

Another thing you could do is take the hangers off, hold the muffler in place, loosen the muffler clamp, and push in. You're guaranteed to get to the stop point. If the mufflers then don't hang well after you tighten the hangers, you can always take everything off, use a heat gun to heat up the prongs on the muffler and bend them gently until they're raised/lowered to a degree that will offer you the best fitment.

I've already had to heat and bend both hanging prongs on my passenger side muffler and will have to do so on the driver's side. It's an inexact science with one-piece mufflers...

*edit* Holy crap, it's TacoBill! Thanks for helping me (albeit indirectly) with 90% of my mods so far!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Please get some pics up! I am anxious to see how the install goes. I will be looking to order these in the future. Whats the easiest way to put them on, put the car on jackstands or just jack up one side at a time?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:12 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ09GT
Please get some pics up! I am anxious to see how the install goes. I will be looking to order these in the future. Whats the easiest way to put them on, put the car on jackstands or just jack up one side at a time?
I use Rhino ramps when working on the rear of the car, a floor jack when doing the front. The ramps are money. Jack stands also go under the rear axle because I'm completely neurotic.

If I get to bending my exhaust hangers tonight, I will take some pictures of my install process.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

I'll get some pics up tomorrow...I got the second on tonight...They are nice...Tips fit well for my GTCS rear...Little bit more than stock as every said...I didn't listen to any youtube, ect sound clips so I can't compare from online sound clip to actual sound, sorry...I just knew I wanted a tad more than stock and absolutely no drone...from reading about the stingers I chose GTAs...now, looking back at that decision, I made the right one for me...Plus, I'm thinking the KB 2.6l will give it a slight boost...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Appreciate it everyone! Probably in October sometime I'm going to look at installing/buying these. I don't want ANY DRONE and just alittle louder then stock....highline can you confirm no drone on these?

I appreciate any and all pics that can be posted. I'm looking to do this myself, and I am excited for this! Besides that ratcheting 13mm, no other specific parts? Any tips on taking off old mufflers/putting new ones on?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJ09GT
I don't want ANY DRONE and just alittle louder then stock....highline can you confirm no drone on these?

I appreciate any and all pics that can be posted. I'm looking to do this myself, and I am excited for this! Besides that ratcheting 13mm, no other specific parts? Any tips on taking off old mufflers/putting new ones on?
Yes, I can confirm no drone...what you described you wanted is exactly the GTAs...You'll need the ratcheting 13mm, a 13mm deep-well with 3" extension and some really flexible arms...I put these in my self, and really couldn't see room for another person/helper...I did get pretty cramped holding the GTA with my knees/chest, ect...Lastly, I did not jack up the car, and found enought room (avreage guy) for both GTA install and mid-pipe clamp loosening, which really did make centering a 'little' easier...When I get home I'll post some pics...Take a look here in the classifieds for them...I got really lucky and found them here for $150 shipped, which actually scared me (what would they look like, scratches and stuff) but the guy I got them from said they only had 4000 miles on them (my car on ly has 1700) so I went for it...I figured for 150 if i hated them i could dump them again...not gonna happen, I love em, love stock+plus sound with zero drone...
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
NJ09GT
2nd Gear Member

Awesome, thanks for the tips! Yea I can fit under without lifting the car so looks like I will try that. However, please post pics when ya can. Just trying to get this organized etc before I order them. When you get on them, how does it sound?

Also - thanks for the tip, will look in the for sale section. Any other tips/problems you ran into when installing these, or are they pretty straight foward - replace stock with these. No modifications right?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I took some basic pics. I will try to get them up tonight (at work now and going drinking after work...what a life)

Quick Reply: Axle-Back Install