Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why won't the e-brake lock up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

This guy sounds like he won't be doing that at events. They just want to "have some more fun" with their car.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I guess the e-brake system isn't what it used to be. I was driving a 1958 Plymouth (drum brakes, and no dual reservoir master cylinder) when the master cylinder decided to go AWOL. Turned out to be an internal leak, so there were no puddles to give advance warning of an impending problem. Anyway, I pulled up on the e-brake and it stopped the car.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:57 AM
JimC

Someone's been watching a little too much "Fast and Furious"

If you want to drift, learn from a school and do it on a track, not on the street. Even if you learn how to do it, other people on the street won't know how to drive with you and you will be just an accident waiting to happen to someone.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I used to pull 180s with my fox in empty parking lots using the e-brake.....TOns of fun lol.

I agree with the other guys those-just hammer the gas to drift

Also the drums lock up the tires hard!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The S197s e-brake is not like the old drum e-brakes.
Its a caliper piston that screws out like a coke bottle lid
that presses on the brake disc. Thats why the e-brake
does not work like you expect it to work.
You will never impose the same pressures on the rear
disc brake pads with a screw lever/cable arrangement
as you can with the hydraulic master/slave cylinder set-up
the brake system uses. The parking brake for parking and
holding static loads, not stopping dynamic loads.
Its not intended for power slides and such.
In fact, Ford renamed it from the e-brake to the parking brake.
Check the owners manual and see.....
No more using it in an emergency to stop but to hold
the vehicle still once stopped and parked.
It was a legallity thing.....
It will soon gall up and get stuck and then where will you be?
A needin some new rear calipers and rotors....
Get some HP to do that and let the rear brakes alone.
If you are made $$, go buy something that has drums on
the rear for that power sliding fun.

Last edited by 157dB; 07-25-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 PM
CaliforniaSpecial631
1st Gear Member

Well it seems like this thread is going no where towards what i was looking for, but thanks for the expressed opinons anyways. Also for those who think im gonna end up in an accident or the ditch, im a very careful and responsible driver. I'm only inquiring about this for the times in empty parking lots or deserted roads when you want to push what you paid for. I just felt the need to put that out there whether you really care or not...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSpecial631
Well it seems like this thread is going no where towards what i was looking for, but thanks for the expressed opinons anyways. Also for those who think im gonna end up in an accident or the ditch, im a very careful and responsible driver. I'm only inquiring about this for the times in empty parking lots or deserted roads when you want to push what you paid for. I just felt the need to put that out there whether you really care or not...
here we go again with another spoiled *** kid who wants to do stupid **** in his car. Kid 1st of all... ur age has everything to do with this thread because #1 u asking about how to get ur car sidewayz forces everyone into thinking.... the OP must be young, because only kids do stupid **** like that. #2 you are proving your immaturity and inexperience even though you are a "very careful and responsible driver". do us all a favor and just drive reasonably.... this isnt going to end pretty for you or your car if you continue down your reckless road of mustang destruction. and if u dont believe me about kids doing dumb ****... then PM me and i can tell you some kidz on this forum who have ****ed up their beautiful cars thinking they were immortal and almighty...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:14 AM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

I love all the jumps to assumptions. None of you were 18? I'm 37 and found this thread while searching, saw the title and thought I've wondered that myself. I read it to learn something. A few guys explained the reason it doesn't lock up. The rest of you, well nevermind you just wouldn't get it, but thanks anyhow for the safety lessons, opinions and bs.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
whitemustang94

Originally Posted by CaliforniaSpecial631
im a very careful and responsible driver..
They all say that dumbass. You arent ****in responsible you're looking to pull the e-brake possibly on a public street. Next time be like the rest of the n00bs and ask what the best intake for your dads car is toolbag.

Go back to playing with your hot wheels son
Old 06-11-2020, 07:44 PM
justin_credible

It’s a shame no one answered the question I shared your curiosity. I was very disappointed too see every one on here unanimously thought to make each addition to the thread even more useless than the last. Personally I replaced my handbrake and tightened the cable but to no avail. Perhaps it’s time to consider a hydro.

Quick Reply: why won't the e-brake lock up?