Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW is your Air Conditionar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default HOW is your Air Conditionar?

My A/C doesn't seem to work like I think It should.

But - I am coming from a BMW 325cis Convertible. The A/C in it would run you out of the car at any temp, and you usually have to turn it on low after it cools down the car, so maybe I am not fair in my expectation.

It seems if the temp is above 88 the A/C in my convertable just blows "Cool" air, but never really cools down the car.

If it is below 88 then the A/C is able to cool down the car, but it takes a long time.

It has been well into the 90's lately in St. Louis and I have found I just leaving my A/C on MAX, with the temp cranked to "coldest" just to maintain a survivable level of "cool" in the cabin..

Is this "normal"?.. or should I have it checked out?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HOW is your Air Conditionar?

I haven't had a problem with mine. When it is really hot, I use the Max setting and it cools down pretty quickly, but I don't have a vert. Once it is cooled down, I can turn it to regular A/C and crank down the fan.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

Hey Prof...you might want to get it checked...mine can turn the interior to a icebox pretty quick...
Old 07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Tehrab
1st Gear Member

Here in Reno we've been tagging mid-high 90's and the A/C's strong enough to where I need to tone it down after about 10 minutes. Then again, I gotta think a silver coupe would be much easier to cool than a vert with black rags.

Possibly the A/C system isn't robust enough for a black rag top?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Mine cools down quick. You may want to get it checked, but it could be the lack of insulation in the convertible top.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

We average high 80's, sometime low 90's here in Charlotte. I have noticed the same thing PW. It seems to take a long time to get where I actually feel cold air even on the Max setting. I usually drive for a couple of minutes with the windows half down to let the built up hot air escape. Usually within five minutes I have cooled down to an acceptable level and only gets colder from there. I attributed my issues to the black color. Thank goodness I don't have black leather or it would really be a challenge. I ordered a windshield visor and hope that will help a little. Might as well use the warranty and have them check it out. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 PM
RutgersFan

Hey, PW - Try puttin' the top up.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:36 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I just spent a few days in Fresno with daytime temperatures hitting 100 or so. I thought the air conditioner did a decent job.

I like to drive with the top down unless I'm getting wet, but finally gave in and put the top up with the afternoon sun baking us there.

Once out on the road the top goes back down. I'll occasionally use the air conditioner with the top down to cool me back off just a little. There is a little too much air coming from back to front between the seats for the air conditioner to work as well as it used to in my Honda S2000 with the top down. Still, just cooling off hands and arms and a little bit of the chest area often makes enough of a difference.

I guess I'm not expecting the air conditioner to produce icicles on my nose, just to help me be a bit more comfortable when it's hot.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I live in Texas and mine is a white GT. It has been nearly a hundred every day the past couple weeks. My AC bites. I'm taking it to the dealership to get it checked out asap.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:04 PM
gettna05!
2nd Gear Member

The dealer will just turn the A/C on max and put a thermometer in one of the vents. IF the lowest air temp hits spec, they won't do anything for you. does anyone know what the temp should be? 54 degrees seems to be stuck in my head.

Quick Reply: HOW is your Air Conditionar?