Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! O/D Light Flashing, Automatic Tranny isn't Shifting Correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

i had mine do the same as you 2 or 3 weeks ago.i just turn it off and on and the light went away and hasent come back since.if the light is not on when you get to the dealer they wont do nothing about it.let us know if they find something that was causing this.about the 4.10s just return it to stock and dont go wot on it take it slow while driving.make sure you write down your stragety code from the xcal cause if they reflash the computer your xcal and tunes wont work no more.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

or I'd just drop 6 grand and get a GT500 6 speed put in with a 3200 stall, but money is a big issue right now.
That would be a neat trick since the GT500 has a Tr6060 6-speed manual and there is no torque converter - just a clutch.

The dealer will see your speedo off and also see how your car is revving high and know immediately you have changed gears. That may or may not be an issue depending on the dealer. My dealer could care less and change gears on half the S197s they sell.
I had my tranny failed and it did exactly what your is doing, would not shift to 3rd. It was toast!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

I've heard of a few people who had the "O/D OFF" light start blinking and it goes away upon restart and nothing ever comes of it, but these people aren't having issues with the way the transmission is shifting either. I think the OP has a legitimate problem. And it doesn't matter how you drive, it may have showed up after a WOT run but I've found that when it occurs most often is at slow speeds, like in parking lots and city driving. OP, do you have another car you can drive? I'd get your car checked out before driving it too much longer.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

mines happen stock in heavy traffic when it came on and i too was having problems with the car shifting.im not saying it could not be something serious by all means have it checked,but the dealer wont do anything to it if the light is not flashing.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

^That doesn't sound too good for you. These kind of these just get worse over time. When it first started on my car, there would be a few weeks in between ocurrances. Over time it would happen more and more often, with the shift problems becoming more and more pronounced each time. That's why I said skip the dealer and take it to a real transmission shop, they don't need a flashing light to tell them something is wrong with the transmission. Though I can completely understand taking it to the dealer if you're still under warranty - I wasn't.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zkiller
That would be a neat trick since the GT500 has a Tr6060 6-speed manual and there is no torque converter - just a clutch.
hahaha. Right - I knew that, I have no clue where that came from.

Also, it could have been a bad tune. I went and loaded the Bama Race tune back in and drove it around and it seemed to be perfectly fine. I will probably go get it checked out anyway though, because no, I don't have another car. I guess I over reacted because of the whole timing of the incident. I loaded in the torque tune for the whole reason of preventing tranny failure, then it fails me 5 minutes later. I'm still going to baby it for the next few months until I have enough cash saved up to replace broken things if needed, because I would like to replace it with a Tr6060 when it does break... and that's going to be quite expensive.

Thanks for the help SleepDeprived, and I'll post back if something is wrong after I have someone take a look at it.

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 07-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

well mines happen at 8000 miles so i have warranty in mines still.if it happens again you bet theyll be getting a visit from me.i wont rebuilt the tranny if i have warranty let them deal with it.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
hahaha. Right - I knew that, I have no clue where that came from.

Also, it could have been a bad tune. I went and loaded the Bama Race tune back in and drove it around and it seemed to be perfectly fine. I will probably go get it checked out anyway though, because no, I don't have another car. I guess I over reacted because of the whole timing of the incident. I loaded in the torque tune for the whole reason of preventing tranny failure, then it fails me 5 minutes later. I'm still going to baby it for the next few months until I have enough cash saved up to replace broken things if needed, because I would like to replace it with a Tr6060 when it does break... and that's going to be quite expensive.

Thanks for the help SleepDeprived, and I'll post back if something is wrong after I have someone take a look at it.
I am almost positive it is a tune issue. Mine does the same not wanting to shift into 2nd or 3rd, but it eventually does. Once I restart the engine all is good. Mine threw a P0745 once when the O/D light was flashing. I ran Bama tunes with only CAI and no issues. When I did cams and got a new tune it only happened with the torque tune. Now with headers and new tune all three tunes do it. Torque all the time, race occasinally, performance only once and awhile. I'm gonna get a Brenspeed tune and I will bet I won't see it again. What is the deal with Bamachips? Tried to email 3 times and no response. Kind of pissed for them not getting back to me, but I don't feel ripped off cause I've gotten tunes modified 3 times and Doug also swapped my 91 race for a 93 race. Definitely got a lot of tunes for the money. Time to try Brenspeed.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If you know of a good transmission shop, take it to them for a diagnosis.

If you go directly to a Ford dealer and they decide the problem is because of one of your mods, that information (right or wrong) will likely wind up in the central computer where Ford Motor Company and every Ford dealer on the planet can access the information. Get an idea as to what is wrong before you visit a dealership. Just my
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

You have two paths to choose from:

1) Put it back to stock, and see what happens. If there's still a problem- have the dealership fix it under warranty. Ford may blame one of your mods/repairs (if they find any). Be prepared to defend how you were driving the car.

2) Take it straight to a private shop you trust. Have them find or fix the problem. Depending on the cost- you would still have the option of trading it in for a newer car. This route may cost a little more, but you can avoid any other potential problems with OTHER warranty issues (if you end up having any). Plus, it still leaves you with the choice of dumping the lemon (if it is one).

I only say this because once your car gets 'tagged' as a modified vehicle, you will have all sorts of problems getting anything fixed or trading in the car.

Back to the original issue: I honestly feel that the increased line pressure with the aggressive driving hurt something inside the transmission (input shaft, output shaft, clutch pack, planetary gear, or valve body). It's hard to say for sure without opening it up. Heck, you could find out that the line pressure just blew out a check ball on the valve body or plate gasket which are both easy fixes.

Quick Reply: HELP! O/D Light Flashing, Automatic Tranny isn't Shifting Correctly.