Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Two bucket method is a gross waste of water. Been washing my cars with one bucket for many years now with no problems. Dry with microfiber towels. I usually wash my car once a week so it doesn't get that dirty. Claybar and PC twice a year.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I use 2-3 buckets of optimum no rinse. i love that stuff and it leaves a cool aftershine.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Sorry guys I do the 2 bucket system. After seeing the rinse water after washing car,I was sold. No more fine scratches since starting this. Clay bar once a year,1,2,3, program from Mothers. Then spray wax or carnuba wax when needed. My Gt has never looked better. I tried Zaino's but dont have patience for drying time.(good stuff)
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
mestengo
1st Gear Member

I use one bucket to wash the top half, one bucket for the bottom half, and one bucket for the tires, wheels, muffler tips. Try the detailing section of this forum for many excellent tips. Also, visit the zaino website for the ultimate in obsessive compulsive detailing/car washing info and products. I have not tried them yet but I am always searching for something to stop my black car from attracting dust like a magnet.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Two-bucket method here.

I have a very nice sheepskin mitt I use. To dry, I use a chamois, and follow up with nice microfiber cloths because a chamois still tends to leave a little moisture behind it.

I could write a book about how particular I am with washing, but what I've covered already should suffice for what you're asking.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

I use a garden hose, soft washing mitt (wool I think) and dry with a chamois and microfiber towel. I make sure I rinse the car thoroughly with the hose before hand washing and also make sure the car is kept wet...never washed in the sun...always shade. Black cars are beautiful...but hard to keep looking that way. California duster is nice when I am only removing a day or two worth of dust. Well worth the money. I clay once a year and use a high quality wax two to three times a year.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

2 bucket system here....one for the wheels/under carriage and one for the body...rinsing the rag between washing body panels to make sure it doesn't pick up anything that will scratch the remaining panels (that the original rinse did not remove). when it's time to dry, I use a high powered leaf blower.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:39 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

Quality, name brand car wash soap, 1100 PSI electric power washer, two-bucket method, micro-fiber car wash mitt. Dry with a super-absorbent chamois and micro-fiber towels. Inspect & remove and tar and residue. Remove any surface marks with Meguier's Scratch-X followed by an application of Meguier's Quick Spray Wax.
Car gets a a complete hand wax (clay bar, polish, wax, etc.) twice a year. Car is driven most of the week (5 out of 7 days)..no snow, but does see rain.
Never wash in the sun... I sometime wait to the end of the day near with enough time left before sundown. I will pull out the other vehicle and wash the 'stang in the garage if necessary. Black cars and direct sunlight just don't get along...

Last edited by nicksfoursix; 08-03-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I am surprised there are so many power washers. I'd be afraid of making a chip or imperfection worse by prying it up with water.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
I am surprised there are so many power washers. I'd be afraid of making a chip or imperfection worse by prying it up with water.
+1

I actually experienced something like this on an older car (before I learned the hard way). Had an area where the paint was chipped and as soon as I hit it with the power washer (I was not right on top of the area) the surrounding paint started coming off....never went back after that.

Quick Reply: Washing your car