Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Racing Headers Long Tubes (w/ Off-road X) Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Default American Racing Headers Long Tubes (w/ Off-road X) Installed!

On Tuesday, I had American Racing Headers 1 5/8" long tube headers installed with matching off-road X-pipe. Real Street Performance installed the headers, and I got a tune from Brenspeed to accommodate the long tubes.

I had a hell of a time with the X3 tuning device. The last time I uploaded a tune, the serial number of the device was not required for the tune. That is no longer the case. As a result I needed to update the firmware on the tuner. Before you update the firmware, you must return to the stock tune which results in a non-drivable car due to the fact that I have a JLT CAI.

When I tried to update the firmware on the X3 with the X3 firware update from SCT's website, the tuner died. Not cool. With a non-drivable car and 30 mins away, you could imagine that someone got a 'Hey, whacha doin' right now?' sort of question. Not too fun.

After researching old purchase orders, looking up info at the SCT website, and getting calls from both American Muscle and SCT, I found out some very interesting information. My X3 was sold to me before July 25th, 2008. (I bought mine June 6th, 2008). As a result, my X3 is no longer considered an X3, but rather is considered a SF3. I then had RSP update the tuner, and BAM! It worked! I came over from work (another 30 min drive lol) uploaded the tune and drove away.

First impressions: YES! The thing is loud. The video below doesn't do it justice at all. Not even close. Not loud when during idle and not much louder than stock (from inside the car that is) when cruising. My Borla stingers still have the drone, but I don't think it is as pronounced as it was before. My main worry that when I bought the LTs w/ OR X was that the sound would be too raspy. It is very raspy, but in a good kind of way. The only problem is around 2500 rpms, it can sometimes trumpet and sound kinda metallic depending on the rate that I am accelerating. That is not too desirable. It'll work for now, but I think there might just be a giant muffler hunt in my future. Anyways, here is a crappy digital camera video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfKuToOlHKE[/youtube]
Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
My X3 was sold to me before July 25th, 2008. (I bought mine June 6th, 2008). As a result, my X3 is no longer considered an X3, but rather is considered a SF3. I then had RSP update the tuner, and BAM! It worked! I came over from work (another 30 min drive lol) uploaded the tune and drove away.

Buddy of mine had the same issue on his X3.

I think SCT needs to hire a new software development manager.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
With a non-drivable car and 30 mins away, you could imagine that someone got a 'Hey, whacha doin' right now?' sort of question.
Glad you didn't call me

Did Jay try to hit on you at RSP?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Glad you didn't call me

Did Jay try to hit on you at RSP?
He did like my wheels.

I mentioned that you said this was a good shop, and he said that you should probably have a blown engine by now. He says you've done practically everything to blow that engine, and somehow miraculously you haven't. Pretty funny stuff there!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

God thinks I'm extra special
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Easy fix for the rasp, just throw on a set of high flow cats and the rasp is gone...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Easy fix for the rasp, just throw on a set of high flow cats and the rasp is gone...
+1. I got my Kooks with a catted X pipe for that reason.
It's loud enough just without trumpeting and I'm sure it flows pretty well.

I used to have an O/R H before the LTs and it used to trumpet a lot.

Congrats on the new headers, I'm sure you're loving the new found power.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

or add some resonators

you want to go for a ride this weekend? starting at my house and going south on a ton of back roads and looping up to tampa.there will be 3-4 of us at the moment.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
or add some resonators

you want to go for a ride this weekend? starting at my house and going south on a ton of back roads and looping up to tampa.there will be 3-4 of us at the moment.
Yeah sure. PM me the details. We can talk resonators!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

So as for the trumpeting issue with the stingers, what would be a good axle-back muffler to get rid of the trumpeting as well as helping reduce some of raspiness caused by the O/R X. I would like to keep the O/R X and just do a muffler change out.

Quick Reply: American Racing Headers Long Tubes (w/ Off-road X) Installed!