Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 lightning 5.4 swap in GT?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default 03 lightning 5.4 swap in GT?

I am getting pretty excited over a deal I came across . Guy my friend knows is selling a 5.4 lightning engine for $1500. Supposedly it has been sitting in a junkyard for a couple of years since the truck was T-boned. I know I would need another computer, fuel system, and not sure about the tranny. I would be selling my engine, computer, and possibly tranny to swap out. It seems like in $$, the upgrade ( cost of buying – selling my parts) wouldn’t be more than a few grand, so its cheaper than trying to upgrade my motor. So, I have a few questions.

1) What would be needed to complete the transformation?
2) Would it fit fine in our cars?
3) It doesn’t come with alternator and such, can I adapt mine to fit or do I new a new one?
4) What kind of power do they get with full bolt on’s, or with a turbo or supercharger swap?

I don’t have much knowledge about this subject, so I would appreciate all input I can get. I would probably swap the blower later, but for now I would do basic bolt ons like intake, tune, headers, etc…
Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

save your money and do a 5.4 3v or 5.4 4v swap. 5.4 2v is forged...but that is it's only benefit over a 5.4 3v/4v

the 5.4 2v is about 390 crank HP on the stock blower. a pulley and tuning upgrade will net you in the 450 crank HP arena

the 5.4 3v @ 6 PSI Roush was pushing 445 crank HP, and with pulley/tuning (10 psi) was closer to 500-520 crank HP.

After you spend all the money to modify, swap wiring harnesses, adress the PCM and lighting issues and a whole score of other things that you haven't even mentioned yet...you are looking at well over $5,000 in parts and mods alone. Not even counting the cost of the motor/tranny part.

it will fit width wise. 5.4 2v is narrower than a 4.6 3v is.

height wise, you are going to need GT500 motor mounts, and most likely a new hood as well to clear the deck height.

need new driveshaft. your current tranny will bolt up using a flex plate adapter

your rear axle is going to explode without some upgrades

need new front springs. 5.4 is about 200 lbs heavier than 4.6

might be able to save your A/C system. Depends if the 5.4 accessory setup has the compressor in the correct location

be 100% illegal for smog

just a few things of the top of my head. not saying it cannot be done. but this is a project that most weekend warriors would be better off not touching. This is a more involved swap that a Shop or Master Tech should accomplish.

why not spend the $3-4,000 for a blower? displacement is nice...but a blower makes up for it. and that install is a freaking joke. I did one in my driveway on my 5.4 3v
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Why would the trans explode from just 450hp? Mustangs here have 450rwhp and they aren't having problems.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Why would the trans explode from just 450hp? Mustangs here have 450rwhp and they aren't having problems.
I said rear axle, not tranny

normal GT has 8.8 with I think 29 spline axles

decent axle, but a big difference going from 300 HP to a 450 HP setup

not to mention the 5.4 has 60-80 more TQ than a 4.6 does. That is alot more shockload to be applied on the axle.

axle wise, he would be better off getting a Bullitt or GT500 setup. 35 spline axles are worlds stronger than the GT setup....and a girdle

damn, list keeps getting bigger
Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

pretty crazy idea......but i have seen the "lightning" motor in an 03 gt.......i'll try to find the pics
j
Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I love the idea.
$1500 for that mill justifies it.

Find a good speed shop in your area to help with the custom wiring of the electronics and post back with your bad *** ride.

Note:
You might have hood clearance problems, because on the lightning, the S/C CAI is on top of said supercharger and the feed is to the back of it.
So, you have an extra 4 inches to deal with.

But you know what? That will be an excuse to use a 2.5" or 3" cowl hood.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Your in texas your smog is pretty lenient compared to cali. The rear end, driveshaft, tranny will hold up just fine with that powerplant. I don't even think springs will have to be changed to tell you the truth. Your mainly looking at computer/wiring harness, headers, intake, hood.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

OP, are you going manual with it?
I can't tell what you have in your car now...
Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

also something to think about, i know the gt500 coolent flow is reversed, and the radiator is directional, but i am not sure if the same holds true for the lightning or not. if it is reversed flow, you will need a custom built radiator, i dont see the lightning fitting in the stang, i opened both my hoods and looked
Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I don't think I would venture down that road. The benefits of the 3 valve are awesome and the possible issues you could run into, down time and maintance would be a pain in the ***. Your car can put 450 to the ground with almost any blower kit out. Probably for less money too in the long haul.

The rear axles in our cars are 31 spline. People pull 1.5 60's all day on them with no issues. Your axle is fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 lightning 5.4 swap in GT?