Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy paint job from dealership. what do do ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Default Sloppy paint job from dealership. what do do ??

I had to take my mustang to the dealership body shop to get the driver side door and rear panel painted and today when I went to pick it up I wanted to cry.
It's insurance work btw ( if that matters anyways. $ 0 deductable )

SLOPPY paint job. Sand pebbles under the clear coat, 80 % of the painted area was not wetsanded. just polished and you can still see the bumps in the clear. The pillar has runny clear on it.
They forgot to polish areas where they wetsanded the clearcoat, and thus you could see scratches everywhere.

I did not accept my car back, and told them I delivered a PERFECT car with a scratch on it, and I recieved a sloppy paintjob on a car that is no longer perfect in my eyes.

Now I'm waiting to get the call to ge back and reinspect the car.

The manager said that there isn't much she can do about the sand pebbles in the clear because no matter how much they change the filters and blah blah blah there will still be some in there ( which is bull because I paint in my garage with no freaking issues ) but she said to give her up to a month to work on it little by little when I can bring it in, and she will be able to remove most of them.

Either way, she said if I won't be happy they will repaint it again. Which at this point I don't even want the dealership to work on it anymore. Can I call the insurance company and tell them about this and request a different shop to redo the paint job ?
Right now they are " trying to fix it " . I told them to wet sand the whole area and polish it AGAIN.

I know I will report this to the BBB.

Anyways what do you guys think I should do ?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Pascal, you're being called into a thread! Sorry to hear about this mess. I don't know much about body work but pascal, I'm sure will be a great help.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

let the Manager know you are reporting them to the BBB and that legal action will be pursued if this work is not completed properly. Make them fear for the lives in that place.. legally.. not physically of course. tell them its a lawsuit waiting to happen.. which is probably not true at all, but either way, they will get the point. They can get it done, and tell them it needs to be put on a priority list.. why would it take a month to paint 1/4 of the car. not acceptable. just B*t(h alot. and i would also call the insurance company and ask what they can do as well, **** poor job is a **** poor job, and after they fix it for the second time, if its still not, take it somewhere else too. I'd also complain that maybe now the paint doesn't match and the whole car has to be painted. milk it. just some thoughts.. what i'd do first off. i'd escalate it over the managers head, talk to HER boss, and so on and so forth. bringing up lawyers and BBB and GM all day long. they don't wanna be like gm now do they? hahah.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, where is PASCAL?
Stealerships are not known for their perfect paint jobs.
Even overspray was not enough to warrant doing it
again on my stang.
I got out of the mess asap and went elsewhere.
Working on it here and there is not acceptable.
You were in line for a seamless repair and you
should be put at the front of the line.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I can't speak for other dealerships but I know the body shop at my local dealer is terrible. I wouldn't ever trust them with the car unless someone held a gun to my head. They've managed to screw up putting a $450 windshield in and did an incomplete repair on the scratches they stuck in my car along the roofline from the install.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

geez... pretty sad
Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm here guys but I'm ready to log off...

OP, too late now but the Insurance cie CANNOT force you to go to a particular body shop or dealer for repair.
If you don't mention any shop, they'll send you to their "preferred" facility and you'll end up in a low quality, high output shop like the dealer or franchise shops like Sterling etc...

If when they redo it and it's still not right, you're entitled to go to another shop of your picking with a new check.
If that new shop f#cks up, you'll have to deal with them only and the Insurance is now out of the loop.

I had this happened to me where I had to redo a job for a customer right after she picked her car from the dealer. They totally butchered that car!
She did file a small claim against GEIKO ($75) saying that the dealer craftsmanship could not be trusted and they re-issued a check to me for cutting the quarter panel off that car and welded another new one properly.
They did come and take pictures of that job in my shop to make sure we indeed, bought a new skin and not re-worked the mangled one.

I'm sure that, depending on which State you're in, the game is played differently.
But, if they screw up again, you have to take the car somewhere else and they'll have to pay. Even if they say no, they're banking on your ignorance until you show them that you're willing to take the extra step, like my Lady did.

Good luck man.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

If Insurance is fixing it, take pictures and report it to the Insurance Company.

Hopefully you have pictures of the area before right? Show the difference that incompetance has created.

I just got done fighting a Dealership for 4 months on my 2008 Expedition. They had it for 41 days total to fix a bunch of paint they had screwed up.

It still isn't fixed 100%, but each time they had it in possesion, something got lost or further damaged.

I highly suggest you attempt and get your car repaired elsewhere. The Dealerships usually subcontract out to the Cheapest most incompetant paint vendor they can find.

I have a brand new Expy that I hate to look at because of that bull****. Don't let your car get where mine is
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, and thanks Pascal. Question though.

If when they redo it and it's still not right, you're entitled to go to another shop of your picking with a new check.
If that new shop f#cks up, you'll have to deal with them only and the Insurance is now out of the loop.
Does that last part mean that if a second shop messes it up the insurance won't care anymore ?? So far this insurance company has been good to me. I have USAA.. I would hate to drop them.. but if need be I'll kick them to the curb for someone else.

I don't think that I can ask for the whole car to be repainted if I say that the freshly painted panels are off color .. lol I wish, but that won't fly..

The manager just called me saying that she won't deliver the car today as she is not happy with it either. and I said .. good wetsand the whole damn thing and polish it again.

OH.. and to add insult to injury, I told them not to leae it out in the rain for a single second. and when I went there today it was nothing but dirt and water spots.. I'll be claying it forever now.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I have before pictures yes. I did not take pics of their sloppy job. I was so mad if the manager was a dude I would have whooped his *** for that.
I literally could not look at my car. I think I'm going to sell it after this ordeal is done.

Quick Reply: Sloppy paint job from dealership. what do do ??