Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what exhaust do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Czar22
1st Gear Member

It depends on what you want first.... More power then go with the CAI and tune. If you want your car to sound better first then get the axle back. I've got Magnapacks and I love them. Not too loud at idle, but a nice muscular sound to them and when you get on the pedal they really wake up.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:26 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i have LTs or/h pipe and glasspacks. love it. before i had tons of drone with stock mufflers but now i have zero drone, quite when driving, loud when i want to rev it up. Obviously you are not going to feel a power difference, but having the glasspacks made my car feel/sound "cleaner" to drive. I like it. plus i bought and had them welded for 100 bucks lol. they are cheap.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I had boomtubes on my 07 and they sounded pretty good. IMO I just didn't like how the 3v's sound period.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

CORSA
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

O/RH - M-80 muffs - SLP Loudmouths
Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Oh yeah, exhaust opinions....

My 1st mod was FRPP Stingers. Sounded freakin awesome. But the drone was way more than I could take.

My 2nd mod was a Bassani Catted X-pipe. Made the exhaust louder & more aggressive. No change in drone.

The next change was to sell the Stingers. I put on GTA's, which were too tame for my taste (zero drone though). 3rd set of mufflers were Bassani Street mufflers which I still have.

Only complaint there is that they trumpted in a small rpm range from 2000 to 2250. Otherwise, sound pretty good. They still drone, but a lot less than the Stingers did. It is drone that I can tolerate.

Drone is like this....low, deep exhaust sound causes drone, period. Any muffler that doesn't drone (even heralded Corsas) simply doesn't put out deep sound. You can't have your cake & eat it too. Deep sound = drone.

The Bassani Streets have some depth (some drone), but not as much depth (or drone) as Stingers.
Yup, that's why I sold my Corsa's just wanted the deep sound, got a mid muffler setup and now it's deep with very little drone.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
mississippimustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Where in MS are you, mississippistang?

CAI/tune vs exhaust? Just personal preference IMO. I like sound a lot. Looking at speed & sound, I think a stock GT lacks more sound than performance. Just my opinion. I did exhaust first, then CAI & tune. The headers. Supercharger is next.

Let me know where you are. I might can hook you up with a mustang club.
thanks for the advice. I live in Pelahatchie which is next to Brandon, but i'm in school at Ole Miss so I'm always in Oxford.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Cool. I live by the reservoir.

Check out our Jackson-area based club and come see us sometime. http://livinglegendsmustangclub.com

Our next cruise-in is Aug 22nd at the McDonalds at Dogwood. Last time we had about 80 cars. About half of them were Mustangs and the other half were other classic cars.

Latest newsletter - http://livinglegendsmustangclub.com/..._June_2009.pdf
Old 08-03-2009, 10:11 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Borla Stingers...had them on the 05 GT and now on the 08 GT500. As you can imagine, I'm very happy with them.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
1bad65
1st Gear Member

I put the Ford Racing ones on mine. I like the sound and get compliments on it. I actually got those before my CAI/tune. If you can afford it, I'd do the CAI/tune first though.

I'm ordering some JBA LTs and an O/R H-pipe this Friday though. I'm dying to see how it sounds then.

Quick Reply: what exhaust do you have?