Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rear axle ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Cardm31

Default Go with the 3.31 gears!

It's not like the stock rearend w/3.31 gearing makes the car a pig. I think I saw a roadtest on youtube of a stock GT and the 0-60 time was 5.2 sec. That's not bad at all. Trey's going to be doing a lot of highspeed driving and what's gas cost over there? $7/gal? Even with the AAFES gas coupons, you're going to want to get the best mileage possible. He's talking about cruising at 120 mph! How many of you are cruising across the country at 120 mph? According to the data from MotorTrend and Car and Driver, the 3.55 gears will have the GT doing 3,700 at 120 and the 3.73 gears 3,846 at 120. I don't know what the revs would be with the 3.31 gears but it would have to feel like you've got another overdrive gear when compared to the 3.73s?
robinsonda1, you couldn't have been cruising at 140 mph in the Civic Si? Isn't the top speed right around 140?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

3.73s here. I'll take acceleration over top speed. Even top speed is barely affected.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

Truthfully, even when you pass that beautiful sign on the autobahn that means no restrictions, people still pull out in the hammer lane and you have no choice to slow down. It frustrates the Porsche drivers, I'm sure. There are a few places at times, like the A95 from Munich to Garmisch where I will be able to drive as fast as I want, and it is safe. What I mean by safe is, the road is silky smooth and no sharp curves. Obviously, there is always inherent danger associated with the type of speeds we are talking about. I am in envy when I am cruising in my American spec XC-70 at 110 and get passed by the German spec cars. Not anymore

Fuel here for us Military guys is around $3 a gallon right now. AAFES claims they base their prices on the national average in the USA, but they still always seem to be a little high.

Thx for all the responses!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cardm31
It's not like the stock rearend w/3.31 gearing makes the car a pig. I think I saw a roadtest on youtube of a stock GT and the 0-60 time was 5.2 sec. That's not bad at all. Trey's going to be doing a lot of highspeed driving and what's gas cost over there? $7/gal? Even with the AAFES gas coupons, you're going to want to get the best mileage possible. He's talking about cruising at 120 mph! How many of you are cruising across the country at 120 mph? According to the data from MotorTrend and Car and Driver, the 3.55 gears will have the GT doing 3,700 at 120 and the 3.73 gears 3,846 at 120. I don't know what the revs would be with the 3.31 gears but it would have to feel like you've got another overdrive gear when compared to the 3.73s?
robinsonda1, you couldn't have been cruising at 140 mph in the Civic Si? Isn't the top speed right around 140?
I was able to maintain 140 mph regularly in my Si, believe it or don't I don't really care.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

With 4:56 gears and a 6800 redline you would top out at 36 MPH in 1st, 60 MPH in 2nd, 91 in 3rd, 121 in 4th and 177 MPH in 5th. You would also be way fast off the line.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i believe you:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...c-SI_29751.htm

whatever gears you get i'm sure you won't have any problems on the autobahn.

Originally Posted by robinsonda1
I was able to maintain 140 mph regularly in my Si, believe it or don't I don't really care.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Cardm31

Default Hey, no one's calling you a liar.

Originally Posted by timothyrw
i believe you:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...c-SI_29751.htm

whatever gears you get i'm sure you won't have any problems on the autobahn.
Hey, I was just asking. I didn't think the Civic Si would go much faster than 140 so, cruising at that speed seemed like a bad idea. What were your revs at that speed?

Trey, as you have probably experienced, it's usually not the Germans that you have to watch out for on the Autobahn, it's the other less responsible, creative Europeans that visit Germany, who put your life in danger. I was there TDY and rented a Ford Sierra wagon. On my way to Garmisch, I thought my number was up when, I was being passed on the left by faster cars (I was only doing 140 kph) right as I passed an on-ramp and a Fiat towing a trailer jumped out in front of me probably doing about 30 kph. I stood on the the brakes (I was the only person in the car not sleeping so, 3 people woke up screaming) scrubbed off enough speed to keep from rear ending the trailer and then made an emergency lane change around it. I'm sure the '10 Mustang GT will do that maneuver much better than that Sierra wagon?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Oh don't get me wrong the revs were high, I can't reember exactly where, probably around 5k but it was a 6 spd and redlined at 8k.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cardm31
Hey, I was just asking. I didn't think the Civic Si would go much faster than 140 so, cruising at that speed seemed like a bad idea. What were your revs at that speed?

Trey, as you have probably experienced, it's usually not the Germans that you have to watch out for on the Autobahn, it's the other less responsible, creative Europeans that visit Germany, who put your life in danger. I was there TDY and rented a Ford Sierra wagon. On my way to Garmisch, I thought my number was up when, I was being passed on the left by faster cars (I was only doing 140 kph) right as I passed an on-ramp and a Fiat towing a trailer jumped out in front of me probably doing about 30 kph. I stood on the the brakes (I was the only person in the car not sleeping so, 3 people woke up screaming) scrubbed off enough speed to keep from rear ending the trailer and then made an emergency lane change around it. I'm sure the '10 Mustang GT will do that maneuver much better than that Sierra wagon?
That is my observation too. Driving in Germany is an absolute pleasure for me here, because the Germans (most Europeans actually) obey the rules. The left lane is for passing only, they NEVER pass on the right, they don't text or use their cell phones while driving, adn turn signals mean everything. I love it. If their is no speed restrictions and traffic allows, then you can drive within the limitations of your car and yourself. I have observed some people, unfortunately likely Americans, that break solid white lines and will ride forever in the left lane. But the Germans will ride behind them unrelentlessly until they move over; cursing in Deustch I am sure.

BTW, The A95 from Munich to Garmisch is a beautiful road, with no restrictions. Good place to open her up. I rented an E class last year when some friends visited from the states, and I was able to cruise 230 KPH on that stretch. The Euro spec Benz's are amazing. Mine had a 2.2 liter turbo diesel and it would haul ***.

To make my post close to the topic, yea, I am looking forward to testing my new stang out on the autobahn. I am sure I will find an AMG or maybe an RS4 or S5 to play with. Of course, I will still be outclassed, but maybe I will surprise them.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

While i love mu mustang, keep in mind that just about everything from AMG can own you, any of the MB 6X and quite a few of the BMW's will run you down, I am often passed buy other high end cars. One of my coworkers Toyota Aventis(sp?) D4D-Cat will cruse with out any problems at 220KmPH, a lot of the cars over here will cruse at 200Kmph+ and just about every car from any of the speed shops will do 250Kmph+ all day long.

The best thing about that is the Germans normally need to spend 2x or 3x what your GT cost to keep up with it

Quick Reply: Which Rear axle ratio?