Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing for the season.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

Default Storing for the season.

Storing my car for the first time ever, leaving for school so it'll sit in the garage starting in 3weeks until i get home. My questions are as follows:

1. Cover Recommendations (Around $100 max, itll be inside, just don't need anymore scratches/dings from the fam)
2. Can you buy a battery tender(this brand) locally?
3. What to do about the BFG KDW2s so they don't get flat spot for sitting for so long?

thanks ahead of time
Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

subscribe..my car has sat for a total of 5 months so far this year..not consecutive but still...just in for the advice
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SatinSilverStang
Storing my car for the first time ever, leaving for school so it'll sit in the garage starting in 3weeks until i get home. My questions are as follows:

1. Cover Recommendations (Around $100 max, itll be inside, just don't need anymore scratches/dings from the fam)
2. Can you buy a battery tender(this brand) locally?
3. What to do about the BFG KDW2s so they don't get flat spot for sitting for so long?

thanks ahead of time
Been storing mine every winter in the garage since i got it back in late '06.

1. You can buy a cheap car cover at just about any auto store. Don't need anything fancy since it will be inside...just something for a little protection and to keep the dust off.

2. You Can buy a battery tender as said in 1. I think i got mine at pep boys. It's a necessity if you are storing your car for any length of time.

3. I heard varying things about flat spots from don't worry about them, they'll go away when you drive the car and the tires warm up to put the car on jack stands and remove the tires. Me, I just give the tires a couple psi of extra pressure and leave it sit all winter....no problems yet.

One thing you didn't mention....fill up the gas tank and add some gas stabilizer.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

already got the bottle of Sta-Bil at the house
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

What about a cover for outdoors? my car sits outside and i need something to be able to take 100+ degree weather one day and rain weather the next..any reccomendations? ? price is ehh, nothin rediculous
Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

If you are storing inside I have the Covercraft ready-fit car covers for $89.99 and the CTEK battery charger for $65 that works great!

If you are looking for a higher end cover we have the Custom Coverking covers as well.

Here are the links to check them out

Mustang Car Covers

Battery Chargers

Thanks!

Ken
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by southernmustangparts
If you are storing inside I have the Covercraft ready-fit car covers for $89.99 and the CTEK battery charger for $65 that works great!

If you are looking for a higher end cover we have the Custom Coverking covers as well.

Here are the links to check them out

Mustang Car Covers

Battery Chargers

Thanks!

Ken
i use a CTEK as well. best money i ever spent for chargers/ tenders

i just used old bed sheets to cover my car ( inside a garage )
don't forget to put baking power in the car to absorb odors
fuel stablilizer
i throw my car up on jack stands
Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

My stang is currently in storage fro 1 yr:

-CTEK or disconnect the battery
-Fuel stabilizer
-Fresh oil change
-car cover
-Stock tires (in my case, I kept my stock ones)
-And since my garage's floor is concrete, I parked the stang on top of a large, use rug I had to provide a barrier between the concrete and the stang. I have researched that one and the general consensus is that the humidity created by the cement will help rust out the bottom
Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

battery tender plus- http://www.batterytender.com/

turn off radio, crack the windows to defeat the auto roll up and exchange air in the cabin before you put the car cover on.

Change your oil

fuel stabilizer with a full tank of gas (unless storing more then a yr) run the car for 10-15 mins after to get the fuel stabil to the fuel filter and fuel lines

Dont put the car up on jack stands! not necessary in anyway.

put at least 4 mil thick plactic on the ground under the whole stang. Get it from any paint store like Lowes or homedepot. It will act as a vapor barrier and slow or prevent surface rust on the underside of the car. (mine is proof that it works unless your floor has a coating like epoxy -I have 4 coats of that on the ground in the garage right now) Only rust I have is the crank pulley and that came that way from the factory!

This should be good for storing for a yr straight. I would recommend having someone start it and drive it if possible for at least 20 miles once every 4-6 months (lubricates everything). Or start it once every 4 months for 30 mins (at least to operating temp)

Rev the motor to over 4000 rpms a couple of times to get the condensation that just formed out of the exhaust hence the reason why I prefer that it gets driven a couple of times instead.

hope it helps
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Items that should be done are dependent on the storage time and a few other factors. Mainly, be sure there is relatively fresh oil in the crankcase as this is the ONE item that, if ignored, can have real detrimental affects down the road. The battery tender or battery disconnect is up to you but won't hurt. Also, place carpeting or cardboard under the tires if you can't raise them off the floor. A cover isn't necessary if you're storing it indoors unless you're a dustaphopic.

Quick Reply: Storing for the season.