Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My story and questions about the 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Oli4

Lightbulb My story and questions about the 2010

Hi all
My name is Olivier and I just registered on MF.com. Originally I'm from Belgium but I immigrated to Canada in January. Mustangs always been my passion and dream since I turned 14 (I'm 32 now, and YES I have tattoos to prove I am a Mustang fanatic). My ultimate dream car is a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1 in Grabber Blue *sigh*
Anyhow. Moving to Canada has been a dream for 7 years. Me and my girl are very pleased that we finally made it here and loving it big time so far. As a landed immigrant, I'm a Canadian now. And that gives me finally the opportunity to own a Mustang. Sure I could have bought one at home for double the price and pay thousands of dollars for insurance and road tax. But I'm not crazy.
Right now I drive a Dodge Caliber SRT4. I don't want to mingle myself into the whole Mopar vs. Chevy vs. Ford deal. I am somebody who can adore the bodywork of a car regardless the brand. But the Mustang is something else.
SO now to the point. I am leaning towards purchasing a 2010 Mustang GT Premium in Grabber Blue, Track Pack, over the top stripes in Black, security pack, but I have a few questions. Here goes:
  • The Caliber SRT4 is fully Drive By Wire and although the car is fast enough, the DBW really has some limits. The PCM is always in control. And that's not what driving a car is all about. It pulls throttle when it feels you are flooring it when you're not supposed to. Is the Mustang 2010 Drive By Wire and if yes does it give you some lean way to play around with the car?
  • What about traction control and stability control. Can somebody explain the system to me Ford uses? Again I hate the fact that I can not turn everything off in the Caliber. Even if the traction control is off, stability control ALWAYS stays on! Is the Mustang the same?
  • What system of gearbox does the Mustang uses? The Caliber has a 6-speed double clutch system that really works precise. Is the Mustang 5-speed precise and if you ever driven a 6-speed, do you miss that 6th gear?
  • Brakes. Mustang brakes seem a bit small for a performance car. How big are the rotors really?
  • Driving a turbocharged car right now I really like the push it gives you when depressing the pedal and riding the boost. How about the V8? I know it has the grunt but 315bhp seems a bit low for a V8 or am I wrong (the torque isn't that spectacular either I think). This will be my first EVER V8 and I don't want to be disappointed. Is it fun to drive? I know the power band will be more graduate than the turbo. But the power will be more even applicable through the gears. That is something else I don't like about the Caliber PCM. It limits boost to 5psi in 1st, to maybe 7 or so in 2nd, 10-12 in 3rd, and full out in 4-6th. Because that's just stupid. I like to think, not the car!
  • About those 'bucket' seats. They don't seem deep enough to keep you in place during cornering or am I wrong?
  • Are the over the top stripes a dealer option? Is every dealer qualified to apply them? Because if it is a dealer option and the dealer ****s up your striping... well I don't need to say more do I? Are the black stripes flat black like they used to be back in the days?
  • The 2011 will have the 5.0? Hopefully they will make a Mach 1!!!

Anyway, this first post is getting waaaaaay to long Sorry for all those questions. I'm still in the researching stage. That is something I love to do. Research! I want to be confident that this is the ultimate car for me!
Thank you!

Last edited by Oli4; 08-06-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 AM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

Too many questions for 1 post but let me just start by answering to one or two of them. You can disable ESC and Traction control by applying the brakes at 0 mph and pressing and holding the control switch for over 5 sec. I 've not tried this but this is what the manual says.
I agree about the bucket seats and cornering but only if you decide to drive the car on the track. Than I am sure you will need 5 point seat belts. I am very happy with the seats for everyday driving.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kinoman2002
Too many questions for 1 post but let me just start by answering to one or two of them. You can disable ESC and Traction control by applying the brakes at 0 mph and pressing and holding the control switch for over 5 sec. I 've not tried this but this is what the manual says.
I agree about the bucket seats and cornering but only if you decide to drive the car on the track. Than I am sure you will need 5 point seat belts. I am very happy with the seats for everyday driving.
I know on the GT premium at least, that you can hit the button and turn the thing off at any time. To enter sport mode, you must be stopped with brakes on. Thats two presses of the button.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Silver_sixxer05
1st Gear Member

I suppose I can chime in and answer another one of your questions,

Yes, the mustang (like every other car produced today) IS drive by wire, and the only way to change the sensitivity is to unfortunately spend some more money, and buy a hand held tuner... well worth the money though. Many more smiles per mile
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Oli4

Originally Posted by Silver_sixxer05
I suppose I can chime in and answer another one of your questions,

Yes, the mustang (like every other car produced today) IS drive by wire, and the only way to change the sensitivity is to unfortunately spend some more money, and buy a hand held tuner... well worth the money though. Many more smiles per mile
Fair enough. Does the computer intervenes a lot? Like what would happen if you floor it mid turn with traction and stability control off. Will it 'see' that you are doing something stupid and pull throttle? Or are you able to power slide out of a corner?

Thanks for the answers so far!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Silver_sixxer05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oli4
Fair enough. Does the computer intervenes a lot? Like what would happen if you floor it mid turn with traction and stability control off. Will it 'see' that you are doing something stupid and pull throttle? Or are you able to power slide out of a corner?

Thanks for the answers so far!!!
Hah! I can answer this from first hand experience.

It does NOT pull the throttle in that situation.... though I sort of wish it had... but thats another story for another post.. lol

Last edited by Silver_sixxer05; 08-07-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Edit: spelling > me.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

try to find the video of Tommy Kendall wringing out the new 2010 GT and GT500. you'll be able to get sideways as much as you want once the right buttons are pushed.

The power and torque and very good in this car, but could be higher for performance needs. I feel they keep it this powerful because it's about at the limit of the average driver. Too much power could kill sales of the GT500.

The brakes are barely up to the task and are not on the same level of performance as the engine. I've experienced brake fade at 90 and it's not fun. But there are plenty of upgrades to any shortcoming, with lots of choices available.
The seats are not as grippy as most foreign sports cars, but the Mustang has roots on straight line racing and comfort.

If you get dealer installed stripes they will usually be under warranty.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Other than some of the technical questions the best way to find out about the car is to take one out for a test drive.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Oli4

Thanks for the answers so far.
I went to a dealer today to ask the same questions. But after the first few I had the feeling, the dealership wasn't really sure about lots of things.
I have an additional question though:
- if you get the track pack II option. Are you getting that billet aluminum shifter **** or is that part of the Premium trim package? Also the TP II was 1800$, ford .ca website quotes it at 2100$
Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

I have owned 3 different cars with six speed manual gearboxes. I don't miss the extra cog (and I thought I would).

Quick Reply: My story and questions about the 2010