Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
SLVSTNG09
2nd Gear Member

You don't need an tune + CAI. You can buy a tune first, the tune is 80% of added performance gain.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkJFMan
Which one to get first? The cai/tuner will help you out more, because first of all when I researched lowering spring I found out that depending on how much you lower it 1" or more you'll need new CC plate (not required) but recommended because of the negative angle you'll get on the tires, and that's gonna make the price jump way high.

NOLA - JLT/Steeda/C&L are all good well known brands... as far as which one whatever fits your budger, I chose JLT because of price and look. Tuner isn't needed but you won't get the benefit from the CAI if you don't get it. Tuner itself will cost you 380$ depending where you get it, so you're better off with a combo.

The tune itself is usually free when you buy the CAI/Tuner combo which is what most people suggest doing.
I don't know where you did your research but CC plates aren't recommended. A pair of camber bolts ($30) will align things back within factory specs, though CC plates are suggested for the hardcore autocross lover...due to the adjustability and abuse.
As far as intakes, a tune is required with most on the market except for a couple (K&N for example). It's stated on almost all of their websites.

I am not trying to be rude, I just want the OPer to have correct information so he can make a sound decision .

Last edited by degeze; 08-09-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM
06 Gt on 20s
2nd Gear Member

if you do decide to get a cai i have a steeda cai in very good condition for sale, you would just need to find a used tuner for sale. if you cant find a tuner i would say get the combo from one of the sponsors like brenspeed.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
mustangrider48

Thanks for the opinions. I think I'll save for the cai/tuner combo just because it adds the best performance for the money. Plus the combo deals are hard to beat compared to looking for each piece separately and then having to get tunes sent.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 AM
ckosiek
1st Gear Member

I have a C&L street w/ extra filter and a Diablosport tuner (also has a no-tune insert), PM me if you're interested.
Charlie
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
I don't know where you did your research but CC plates aren't recommended. A pair of camber bolts ($30) will align things back within factory specs, though CC plates are suggested for the hardcore autocross lover...due to the adjustability and abuse.
As far as intakes, a tune is required with most on the market except for a couple (K&N for example). It's stated on almost all of their websites.

I am not trying to be rude, I just want the OPer to have correct information so he can make a sound decision .
You're not being rude I was told different and now I know. You helped me out too.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Just a general rule of thumb, if the Mass air size remains the same, a intake can generaly be used without a tune, as the amount of air passing through the mass is still directly proportional to the factory tune. The gain then comes from the fact that the filter is less restrictive and the intake generaly has less turbulance. Think BBK, and like somone else stated, K&N

If it has a larger mass air then for the same volume of air going into the motor, the velocity of the air comming in is slower, making the mass air think you are actualy getting less air to the motor, and the ratios in the computer are not right. The car starts throwing less fuel for a given RPM, and the computer thinks you simply can not suck enough air, so you start throwing to rich codes, when you may very well be running lean.

If your going to save up, make sure you get one of the intake kits with the 90mm mass air. If your getting it with the tune anyway, might as well get one with the least restictive flow. Also, if it is your first line of mods, I would recomend Bamachips.com I have run brenspeed and bama tunes, and I will tell you, if you get a "race" tune from bama, not only are you gonna get a good performance tune, but the reprograming he does to the throttle really makes the car feel way more alive then the other tunes I have have used and seen. Also, I would recomend one of the packages with the SCT tuner. Only because they seem to be more widely used and you will have less of a chance of having to buy a new tuner in the future. For example, a brenspeed supercharger package that uses a SCT tuner. You can usualy get them to discount the price, not send a tuner, and email a tune.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
And last will a tune void your warranty?
Oh and to answer this question. Technically they can only void your warranty if the part in question directly causes the issue. But sense this is a intake mod and a performance tune, they can argue that your motor and drive train are running outside there warrantied power range. Is it enough power to make a difference in parts breaking, probably not, but it would come down to you arguing with them, not a good spot to be. However if your AC compressor went and they tried to blame it on your intake and tune, they would not be able to attribute it to your mods and deny service.

Though with a mod such as a intake and tune, it takes about 45 minutes to undo. Meaning, throw your factory intake on there, and reload your factory tune. They can tell the computer was reset, but really you can just say that your car was acting funky so you pulled the battery for a few minutes to try to reset the computer and the problem persisted. That is if they even ask....
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

OPer: Here is a article that 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords did comparing many aftermarket CAI's...(good read)
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Does a tuned mustang with stock pipes sound good? I got axle backs first, then cai/tune and I would go the same route next time.