Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

File Format for USB Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT_n00b
It makes since you can't use NTFS since its a Microsoft proprietary file system format.
Actually, it's ironic that these can't read NTFS since MS designed the system. That aside, NTFS is not a great format for portable storage. FAT32, despite being old and decrepit, is still the best format for all-around compatibility.

I got one of these [newegg.com] and tested it against some of the other mainstream flash drives. They all have good throughput but this has the best random access times that I have found which makes it ideal for reading lots of small files on demand (such as songs). It's won the customer's choice award 6 times and is only $17 (after rebate) with free shipping. Even at the $27 (before rebate) it's a good deal.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
GT_n00b
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Actually, it's ironic that these can't read NTFS since MS designed the system. That aside, NTFS is not a great format for portable storage. FAT32, despite being old and decrepit, is still the best format for all-around compatibility.
Actually M$ only provides the SYNC software portion of the system and didn't actually design the Shaker 500/1000 which is what reads the thumb drive.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
bgmikejr2009

To All:

The reason they did not use NTFS is NTFS is used for permissions in Windows and FAT32 is much quicker when accessing files on a flash drive or any type of drive that you are using, bottom line is FAT32 is what is used in cars with USB thumb drive connections for the radio due to NTFS being created for better permissions on files in Windows. NTFS is a windows based file system and Windows is not used in the shaker 500/1000 systems so there's the truth behind it all.

Take care all
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by bgmikejr2009
To All:

The reason they did not use NTFS is NTFS is used for permissions in Windows and FAT32 is much quicker when accessing files on a flash drive or any type of drive that you are using, bottom line is FAT32 is what is used in cars with USB thumb drive connections for the radio due to NTFS being created for better permissions on files in Windows. NTFS is a windows based file system and Windows is not used in the shaker 500/1000 systems so there's the truth behind it all.

Take care all
Yea, no MS in the SYNC.
Its all proprietary SpanishOak stuff.....
Old 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Yea, no MS in the SYNC.
Its all proprietary SpanishOak stuff.....
Actually, MS just provides the underlying OS (Windows Mobile Automotive). Ford designs all the applications/interfaces that you work with. Voice Recognition is done by Nuance.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sarge2155
I am not having any luck finding a USB drive that will even work in my Stang. What brand name is everyone using? Exact models and brand names would be helpful. I have tried two so far both FAT32 formatted. The system will not play my mp3s. They are not protected just regular mp3s, system says it is not able to play....what gives?
Let me make sure we've covered everything:

1. You insert the USB stick into the USB port in your center console
2. You press the voice button on the steering wheel (Talking head icon), NOT the media button (music note). It's a double-sided button, if you press the wrong side, it won't do what you want.
3. You're presented with a voice prompt:

YOU HAVE NAVIGATION
4A. "Please Say a Command"

YOU DON'T HAVE NAVIGATION
4B. "[SYNC]. Please say a command." (SYNC could be a number of audio sources... see https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...-commands.html)

If you've gotten this far, we're good. If not, there's a more serious problem.

If you HAVE gotten this far, say 'SYNC' if you have navigation (you'll then get a voice prompt that sounds like 4B). Proceed at the next step. If you don't have navigation, just skip to the next step.

5. Say 'USB' after the 'listening' tone (sounds like 'bing')

6. SYNC should say something that starts with "SYNC has detected a new device. For your safety please stay alert to changing road conditions and use SYNCs voice-activated features while your vehicle is in motion." You may also hear a message about playing protected content. (this only happens the first time you put in a new USB device). I forget whether or not it starts playing media at this point or not.

7. Press the voice button again, and if the audio source is 'USB', you can say 'Play all' to begin playing all of your music (see the link above for playing media by artist, genre, album, and so on).

If you still have problems accessing the USB drive, it may have not been plugged into the module all the way at the factory, or it could be the result of a PCM software issue (not sure how the powertrain affects the SYNC module, but I digress...).

In any case, you'll have to take it to the dealer for a free fix (both are easy, quick fixes). If the USB cord from the module to the port is plugged in securely, then you need a PCM flash to upgrade the software. Reference TSB# 09-14-3.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Sarge2155

Originally Posted by jocatch
My flash is Corsair but any drive formated properly should work. Are you sure the USB port is working? Somewhere on this forum I think someone had a bad connection and their port was not working.

Joe
Yes I am sure the USB port works because it registers something inside it (the port) it just will not play the mp3's. The Synch also talks so yes the port works.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Sarge2155

Duh I got it to work. I was using a bad command..when all else fails pull out the book. I was saying play instead of play all. Works like a charm I feel so stupid now.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Papapump51

Ok I am sorry if this has been covered but, today I plugged in my USB and it it saying some crap about permisson to use the files, well of course we all know where we get our files so we know the deal, I am using a 1gb stick just from bestbuy and it wont work...I will try tomorrow again and see.. think I need the software upgrade?? or new stick? but he music is all MP3...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Hooker

Originally Posted by Papapump51
Ok I am sorry if this has been covered but, today I plugged in my USB and it it saying some crap about permisson to use the files, well of course we all know where we get our files so we know the deal, I am using a 1gb stick just from bestbuy and it wont work...I will try tomorrow again and see.. think I need the software upgrade?? or new stick? but he music is all MP3...
If i rememeber it sounds like the main disclaimer that pops up regarding permissions. I just selected ok and it went past. If you feel the USB thumb drive is the problem, then make sure its formated properly (FAT32) and not NTFS, otherwise sounds like your there. Plenty of previous posts with good information you may want to go back through them again just to be sure.

Quick Reply: File Format for USB Drive