Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Question Nitrous on a budget

So I've roughly come to the end of all the bolt on hp gainers minus a Sc or something like that. I have though about it and I want to run a 75-100 shot of nitrous, but I'm about to go off to college and I don't wanna spend all my money on this, I'm gunna hafta buy books and stuff.
So here's my question, is it possible/a good idea for me to splice together a system out of gently used parts from craigslist instead of buying the entire kit new?
I imagine it would be hard to find some things like solenoids for my particular car, S197 V6, so that I would probly need to buy new, right? Also is there a large safety/performance difference between wet and dry?

Here is what i've found so far:

1.$260
Brand new in the package Edelbrock nitrous kit. Part number 70001. Sells for around 500.00 from Summit or Jegs. Comes with a used NOS bottle with a high flow valve.

2. $350
a nos nitrous wet system with a cold fusion FUEL it comes with nos 10lb bottle with hi-flow valve , fuel saftey switch on it and all the wires and selnoids and lines needed to hook up. 50hp TO 150hp shot.....

Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

I would keep looking for a kit for mustangs, I found my kit on mautofied used for 400.00 and it came with a billet tank bracket and tank gauge. I would stick to the kits for our cars like the ZEX kit, unless you have a lot of experience with nitrous set ups.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Ok so does a kit need to be V6 specific or will they be the same bc it's all not really engine specific? If so I still don't understand why I can't get a used kit and just buy new solenoids for it that are 05 mustang specific
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM
JimC

The edelbrock is going to take some serious modification - looks to me like it uses a carburetor perimeter plate to deliver the juice.

The Zex system I just took off my car (to prepare for supercharger this weekend) was the same one sold for the GT. If you find a system for the GT it will fit the V6.

One reason you can't just buy any kit is that by the time you get the other parts you will need (for example, the fuel rail adapter for the wet kit), you will end up cobbling a mish mash of various parts together that weren't designed to work with each other.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 AM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

yea, your better off finding a kit for our year car. also a nice tune make you get the most out of the shot if it's in your budget >.<
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

JimC...you uhhm...lookin to part with that mighty fine zex kit in exchange for money ofcourse
Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 AM
JimC

I just sold it - had the complete kit up for sale for a couple of weeks here (basic kit, purge, heater, window switch, cupholder switch plate) and finally ended up parting it out on Ebay with the basic kit and each accessory.

Still have the purge kit to sell, but everything else is gone.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

look into www.dynotunenitrous.com that's where i bought my kit from back in august and ive had zero problems at all and great performance numbers from it too
Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Mikey, I love you lol!! That's such a good priced kit!!! I think I'll buy the one w/o a bottle and get a used bottle and mounting brackets.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicmetalicS197
Ok so does a kit need to be V6 specific or will they be the same bc it's all not really engine specific? If so I still don't understand why I can't get a used kit and just buy new solenoids for it that are 05 mustang specific
sell the car, sell the mods, etc, buy a GT don't try to polish a turd, sorry if thats blunt, but to do all that to a V6 just doesn't make since, but then again I can't understand WHY anyone would buy a mustang with a v6 in the first place

Quick Reply: Nitrous on a budget