Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let off gas and rpm stays?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
broncoboy78

Default let off gas and rpm stays?

hey, ok well lets start from the begining, i was a genious and bought a throttle body spacer, which i now know was pointless, ran it for a few days, it threw the check engine code, i realized with from help from yall how useless it was, so i pulled it off, now i have another problem, when i am driving and i let off of the gas the rpm stay, lets say im cruzing at about 3000, when i let off of the gas the rpm stays at 3000, this is the case no matter what rpm i let off at, i didnt drop the throttle body or anything but is it possible i just nocked sumtin out of wack, please help, thank you
Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Try the battery disconnect and see if that resets the computer.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

how do you drive this thing if the rpms never go down? They must go down at some point, right? Can you elaborate on exactly what happens after you let off the gas?

These cars are generally pretty slow in dropping rpms to begin with, but I'm assuming you know what the normal characteristics of the car are (ie: pre-modification).
Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Do the rpm's stay the same or does your gauge say they stay the same?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 PM
lukas77
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue so i understand where u coming from. Here is a solution that worked for me. This was written awhile back by this forums member. First step is disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 15 min or so, thereby resetting the computer and learning algorithm. Next, reconnect the battery. Get in the car, put your key in, and turn the key to the right almost all the way but do not start the car. Now, over the course of the next 10 seconds: for the first 5 seconds, slowly (and iI mean slowly) depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Now, during the next 5 seconds, slowly release the gas pedal until 10 seconds when the pedal should be fully released. Now in order for this to work, you must have your timing right - close won't do it (you must be within 1 second). What this does is reset the drive-by-wire mechanism, and resets the gas pedal.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
broncoboy78

hey, the rpms do stay high, its not just the gauge, as for the rpms, basically to slow them down ive just been engine breaking basically forcing them down, if im cruzing and just let off of the gas they stay where they are almost like cruze control, the car is a stick so if i take it outa gear to coast the rpms actually raise 3 to 4 hundred because of no load, which really freaked me out the first time it hapened, i thought at first it was just in my head but after driving a little while i could tell it was definitely something wrong, i was thinking that i needed to reset the computer but just parked the car and figured id ask you guys first what u thought i should do, so i am going to do that and reset the pedal hopefully in the next day or 2 if i have a chance, thank you guys for ur help i will update you once i do it hopefully with good news, thank you
Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 AM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by broncoboy78
hey, the rpms do stay high, its not just the gauge, as for the rpms, basically to slow them down ive just been engine breaking basically forcing them down, if im cruzing and just let off of the gas they stay where they are almost like cruze control, the car is a stick so if i take it outa gear to coast the rpms actually raise 3 to 4 hundred because of no load, which really freaked me out the first time it hapened, i thought at first it was just in my head but after driving a little while i could tell it was definitely something wrong, i was thinking that i needed to reset the computer but just parked the car and figured id ask you guys first what u thought i should do, so i am going to do that and reset the pedal hopefully in the next day or 2 if i have a chance, thank you guys for ur help i will update you once i do it hopefully with good news, thank you
Why dont you just take it to your dealer?? It should still be under warrenty shouldnt it??
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
broncoboy78

waranty is over jus a little while ago or i would, thnx
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you would have possibly voided your warranty anyway.

I'm curious though, with so many people advising you not to bother with a throttle body on the S197 why would you install one?
Has someone posted a thread saying it was a good idea somewhere?
It's been well documented that the TB is a bad idea so we need to know if someone is going around saying how great they are.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 AM
broncoboy78

no, i still have the stock tb, i just got a tb spacer and tried it and had problems, then i joined the forum and realized that it was a bad move, so i took it off and then started having this problem, and yeah i didnt realy mess with the car a whole lot until the waranty was up because i figured i would void it, all i did before was exhaust, i am planning on reseting the computer and pedal when i get home in the morning, so i will let you guys know if it fixes my problem