Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car broken into today ...Pioneer F90BT stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

The problem is , if they want in , they'll get in.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by blk05stang
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent a thief from taking a head unit? Maybe some kind of strap or something to attach it to the frame of the car in the dash somewhere? Maybe razor blades taped behind the dash? Although that could be messy. Damn this sucks. Just got done putting the stock shaker 500 back in.
12V 4AH gel cell hidden in the trunk area for battery back-up for when
they cut the battery wire and about four 160dB interior pain generators
stratigically placed that vibrate with the fine little hairs in your inner ear
that give you your equallibrium.
When they go off, you get really dizzy when subjected to them like
spinning around a baseball bat and getting your inner ear fluid spinning
past the hairs and then stopping and trying to walk straight with the
fluid still spinning.
No one wants to be around that type of pain generator for more
that it takes to get away from them....

Last edited by 157dB; 08-13-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
CajunJosh

Did you have the unit password protected? I love that feature on mine, once the battery is disconnected you have to enter that password right of the unit will not start back up. I think after so many incorrect password attempts the unit locks up and has to be sent back to Pioneer.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blk05stang
Maybe razor blades taped behind the dash?
Do not put anything behind the dash! The brother of my professor did this and caught the burglar with his hand stuck in the dash. The burglar ended up suing the car owner and won because he didn't have a warning sign for the razor blades behind the dash.

You could always use limo tint on the front windows. Put up a sunshade while you're at work and a burglar can't see the content of your car.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Cross_X
1st Gear Member

Im terribly sorry to hear such things happening...
The city(actually,the whole country) where i grew up, was full of that stuff for all the time period i remember(i'm 21, so it's been going for about ten years, starting in the 90's).
my dad always double-checked whether he took off the face of the cd-receiver before he locked the vehicle(which at those times was a 4000$ domestic car), because if he didn't, it'll be broken into in no time at all, no matted day or night.
I'm a car audio maniac, the whole system i have is worth more that 50% of the vehicle's new price. I have two single-DIN sized head units mounted in the console one under another, and even if i take the faces off, it can be seen from outside very easily.
I remember you asked a question hot to mount the device so it can't be easily taken out. What i did is i used a frame made of 2mm steel planks,custom welded for my purpose. First you have to mount the head unit(s) to the frame(i used bolts with internal hex & torx -it's a thing you rarely see in Russia in the car), and then you mount the whole set into the console.But, of course, you fasten it not only to the factory threaded holes, but you try and find any other places and holes you can use.you actually have to find those holes prior to welding a frame so it could have all the holes needed).I spent about 2 hours actually bolting it into place - had to take out the glovebox and all what was there of the console.no big deal, but takes some time.
i tried to pull out the device after i was done fixing it - not even a chance.)
ill try to find a picture to show what i mean(have about 3000 shots of the project).
Again, im sorry for your loss, but as we, audiophiles, say - that's a reason to get a new head unit-)
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 AM
CajunJosh

When it comes to theft you have to remember that the thief does not care about your property. It really is useless to try and come up with ways to make it "harder" for the criminal to steal the head unit.

When the criminal decides to break into the vehicle he/she will not initially know what protections you have in place and once they commit to trying to remove the equipment the harder it is for them to remove the more damage they are going to do to your car trying to pry it out.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

forget the alarm...get a pitbull and leave him in there...
Old 08-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Cross_X
1st Gear Member

Well, it really comes to the point of what will be easier to restore(or to get new).
For somebody it obviously will be easier to just get another head unit, and for somebody it will be easier to fix the console(f/e, if they hand-built it and can repair it with their eyes closed). My head unit is a custom-tweaked Pioneer P-90RS with a Pioneer AVH-P7900 mounted on top of it, so the set is approx. 3000$ us to get new, plus the tweak.
New dash(whole) costs about 800$, to wrap it into leather will be 500$ more.But who cares whether it is a new one or a fixed old one if it's still wrapped in leather?=)
again, this is my way of doing those things. of course, no need to mount a 300$ worth head unit in such a way( no offense intended to anybody), but if that's something a lot more worthy, i'd think different..
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I am looking at the HU. Sorry to hear about all that.Will your insurance cover theft?

Aside from that, did you like it? Did it take awhile to boot up? I was also concerned with theft. I am trying to think of a way to secure the HU to the frame.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

try covering your car if you're going to have an expensive aftermarket stereo. And lock the cover with the cable too.

Quick Reply: Car broken into today ...Pioneer F90BT stolen!