Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windex vs invisible glass vs winshield washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default windex vs invisible glass vs winshield washer fluid

Hello,

Ok, so I am sure a lot of people have the same problem of having spots on their windows. I have done some searching in the forum and found a lot of talk about the different kinds of cleaners.

I hear a lot of votes for both Windex and invisible glass, however, I find that when I go to the gas station and clean my windows with the free window washer fluid (WWF) in those trashcan side-buckets, my window are really clean. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Whould it be bad to buy some WWF, spray it into a MF towel and clean the windows with that, inside and out? I haven't tried it yet myself, it just came to me.

Just so you know, I was my car in the shade, with water and car cleaning soap. Then rinse after washing and dry with a MF towel. I still gets spots on my windows and side mirrors.

Thanks for your input, as always.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Just make sure everything is cool when you wash the car. The spots can be taken off with steel wool and windex. Make sure you use the super fine steel wool (I think its the 0000 type).

You might just have some left over from before, it happens. Also I use simplegreen usually the clean my windows (very high dilution, so its mostly water) and it cleans them right up with no streaks.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Spotting on our windows is a chronic issue. I don't know if it's something Ford coats their glass with or what but I've never owned a car that was this much of a pain to get spots off the glass.

My best luck (after trying about 1/2 dozen products including vinegar and newspaper) came with the solvent that I had bought for cleaning glass and body components prior to using the 3M double sided tape.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I use stoner's invisible glass on the inside and rain-x on the outside. If you use a microfiber with stoner's, it will not leave spots behind. Just dont soak the cloth so much and go over it with a dry microfiber after using the wet one.

If you have waterspots on the outside of your glass from hard water, then those are a pain to get off. The thing I have found which works best is a car polish. You can use cleaner wax or like meguires scratch-x or any other car polish you have. They will take water spots off the easiest. I have had no luck with claybars or using vinegar. The polish will take it off quickly and easily and leave the glass nice and clear.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Do people not know about steel wool? I know a lot of people are scared it will scratch but if you use 0000 type it doesnt.

I used to use it to get overspray off windows at the bodyshop I detailed at.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
reznap
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Do people not know about steel wool? I know a lot of people are scared it will scratch but if you use 0000 type it doesnt.

I used to use it to get overspray off windows at the bodyshop I detailed at.
Best way to clean windows is a razor blade type scraper and an ammonia-based cleaner like windex - just keep the ammonia off the plastic

Edit: Sorry thought you were asking what to use... nevermind. Glad steel wool worked out for you I would have hesitated
Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
I use stoner's invisible glass on the inside and rain-x on the outside.
I thought rain-x gave your windshield a coat so that rain would run off. I didn't know it was a cleaner? I thought your windshield had to be clean before using rain-x.

I can try the steel wool.

Does anyone have an opinion about the Windshield washer fluid?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

From what I saw in stores, Rain-x now makes a 2 in 1 cleaner and repeller. I only apply it after a full car wash anyways, so it should be clean.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
...Does anyone have an opinion about the Windshield washer fluid?
Personally, I consider wwf to be watered down cleaner. Perhaps it was the scrubby thing at the pump that actually took some of your spots off.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I found that using microfibre cloths and most any good window cleaner (I just use Windex) works great.

Quick Reply: windex vs invisible glass vs winshield washer fluid