Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile magazine "Blood Feuds"!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

My cars will always be sans torque converter. I'd buy a car without a clutch pedal, but there needs to be a clutch inside the bell housing. I don't like the disconnected feeling of a car with a torque converter. I also can't stand paddle shifters. My pedal-less manual still needs to have a console lever.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I could NEVER fathom having an automatic performance car. Sure, autos shift faster, are easier to drive, and get pretty much exactly the same gas mileage... but they are BORING! When I was car shopping, I test drove an LS2 GTO with an auto, and it was an amazing car, but my hand got restless with nothing to do. All of my driving is highway, so that makes a huge difference in my choice. I love being on the highway and getting stuck behind someone going 20 below the limit, because I really like to drop from 5th to 2nd and punching it. My winter Bronco is an auto, and I like having it for that, but when Its time to play, I need a manual. Its also nice to drive a stick when youre riding with a girl, because sometimes my hand might "slip" off the shifter and land on her thigh....
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

This is definitely a "to each their own" kind of thing. I would never drive a manual outside of being in a race car where what gear you're in actually matters.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by silverscmustang
do you guys driving manuals really care about mpg?!?!? lol i know thats not why I got a manual, never even came to mind to me its just more fun to drive thats why i sold my v6 auto and got a gt manual
Since you asked,

my V6 Manual Trans Mustang is my "good gas milege" car. I get 30-31 mpg on the highway.

Gas was $4 a gallon last summer. You dang right I care about the MPG.

Couple that with it being a convertible and fun to drive/shift... the best of both worlds.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 AM
washamur
3rd Gear Member

I've got that issue in the office (bathroom) .. excellent read.

No doubt, with as much in city driving I do ... there are times I wish I had an auto ... then, when I get it on the open road - I change my mind.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Over time it takes less actual skill to drive cars. Less things to manage when driving the car means less skill required. Someday you won't even have to steer the car any more since a computer will take care of that for you. And probably do a better job of it.

For the people who are looking to minimize driver effort and input, and just basically be a passenger rather than a pilot, these inventions will be welcome.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Was either get an auto or no stang...auto it was...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Driving a manual keeps you more engaged with driving vs driving an auto it's easier to just zone out. You can't rev an auto and dump the clutch... you can do a neutral drop lol But that's very VERY bad for your transmission. I had an auto once... then I got a manual and never looked back. My last 3 cars have been manual. The traffic doesn't bother me. And before anyway says I don't drive in the right kind of traffic. I used to spend 30 minutes to drive 5 miles because the traffic was so bad. I have a new job and live somewhere new now... so it's not THAT severe anymore but there is still stop and go traffic and it takes a while to get home from work. Not to mention when I am just going out to do stuff and there is retarded amounts of traffic. It still doesn't bother me, i'm never giving up my manual! :-D
Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

I disagree with this, for now. In 05-09 mustangs, the manual can chirp the tires, where as the autos can not unless they have a tune. Stock for stock, it just seems that manuals land higher trap speeds. In the future, however, I can definitely see autos being the way to go...for another example, look no further then the 2010 camaro, said to have one of the best auto transmissions ever built, the 6speed trumps it in almost every way with a good driver.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The future seems to be dual clutch transmissions with paddle shifters.

Quick Reply: Automobile magazine "Blood Feuds"!