Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW! SYNC 3 is here w/turn by turn(free)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
I turned voice guidance "off." That mutes Samantha's voice (but includes the helpful tones). Unfortunately, it mutes EVERYTHING. So you're jamming to The Allman Brothers when <tone>, then a period of 5-6 seconds of silence (I assume this is the period at which Samantha does her thing), then "Rambling Man" comes back on. Why the period of silence ? Seems like a cheesy workaround to muting her voice -- it just mutes EVERYTHING!
Really?? That shouldn't happen. I'll bring it up to the product manager for SYNC v3 (TDI). What audio source are you on when this happens?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

To be clear, the tones still activate, but there is an extended period of silence following the tones. Highly annoying.

This is the case on both media mode and sirius. Haven't tried am/fm/cd.

THANKS A TON for bringing it to their attention !!!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
grettann

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
This ties back into the 'SYNC phone call volume is super low, and fluctuates all over the place' issue. We know about it, and are trying to figure out a good way to fix it for good (not just apply a band aid). Since you're interacting with Darby through a phone call, you get plagued by this. It's certainly an issue we're working toward fixing as soon as we can. In fact, if you were to call 'services' directly through your cell phone, she should sound loud and clear (well, as loud and clear as can be on a phone connection). In fact, TellMe (the partner who's helping us with the off-board services coordination) has the volume on Darby turned up as far as it will go on their server to help with this issue for now.

No prob.
FordEngineer,

I had sent you a PM on this topic, thanks for clearing it up. It has been driving me crazy to have to turn up the volume with every phone call. At least I know the problem is being addressed.

Another issue I have seen is that every time I eject out a CD my system defaults to the AM radio and static. The only radio I want to default to is the SIRIUS. In fact I only want the car to go into AM or FM if I select it from the screen never jump back to it. Anyone know how I can set the system up to default to Sat?

I am also having a lot of issues with Gracenote not having the data for the CDs I am putting in the car. Anyone know how can I update the database in the car without always getting NAV updates?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

I like Darby...gotta watch the quiet type.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grettann
FordEngineer,

I had sent you a PM on this topic, thanks for clearing it up. It has been driving me crazy to have to turn up the volume with every phone call. At least I know the problem is being addressed.

Another issue I have seen is that every time I eject out a CD my system defaults to the AM radio and static. The only radio I want to default to is the SIRIUS. In fact I only want the car to go into AM or FM if I select it from the screen never jump back to it. Anyone know how I can set the system up to default to Sat?

I am also having a lot of issues with Gracenote not having the data for the CDs I am putting in the car. Anyone know how can I update the database in the car without always getting NAV updates?

Thanks
Sorry for the delay on PMs... I get lots , so it takes me a while to get through them all. Glad I was able to resolve one of your concerns, I'll check on the rest as I am able to. (though I think the radio defaults to AM/FM terrestrial radio on CD eject because not every vehicle has SDARS or SYNC, so we had to take the lowest common denominator approach). As for Gracenote, I'll look into it. I know the exact person who will know the answer to that.

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
I like Darby...gotta watch the quiet type.
Actually, there are 2 female services voices. The initial (main) one is Darby, and the other (embedded) one is Melissa. They're named based on the real names of the people who's voices generated the prompts you hear.

In fact, when I was in Mountain View doing some work with TellMe (the back-end data provider for 'Services') I met (the real) Melissa. That was after doing about 2130948234 hours of testing. You wanna talk about an awkward introduction... her real voice is (obviously) IDENTICAL to the voice I heard for the past few weeks during testing.

Last edited by FordEngineer; 08-25-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Why make 2 posts when you can roll them into one?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 PM
zago

Just took posession of my V6 convertible and all over the Sync functionality.
Learning something new everyday, and its a great system !

Wondering if there is any updates or future for the "Turn by Turn" or "Traffic" to come to Mustang owners in Canada ? Most GPS units can navigate though US and Canada, are the same SatNav maps not being used on the Ford server ?

Just a question to make a great product even better for us Northerners ??

FordEngineer or anyone have any insight into this ?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

It would be nice if you could get all the text that shows all the turns on the route to stay in the system so you could just scroll through them without having to hit the "talk" button and ask for it every time. Kind of like on a Garmin. On the Sync you have to hit the talk button, say the command "next turn" and then it will show you the text and speak what your next turn is. If you say "route summary" it will then give you the full route, but once it's finished you would have to ask for it again. It would be nice if when you download the route (via cell phone) it would keep the text of the route in your system so you can just scroll through it all.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

stickin with garmin that had for years, already paying for sirius radio, don't need another bill showing up 3 years later, at this point not falling for it to prevent that. the built in 911 assist good enough now.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
It would be nice if you could get all the text that shows all the turns on the route to stay in the system so you could just scroll through them without having to hit the "talk" button and ask for it every time. Kind of like on a Garmin. On the Sync you have to hit the talk button, say the command "next turn" and then it will show you the text and speak what your next turn is. If you say "route summary" it will then give you the full route, but once it's finished you would have to ask for it again. It would be nice if when you download the route (via cell phone) it would keep the text of the route in your system so you can just scroll through it all.
The government's driver distraction people would be all over us if we did that. There's already a lot of things you can do in the (button-initiated) menu when you have a route active, but there's VERY strict requirements as to what we can and can't let you do, lest we be sued to death by the government, action groups, drivers, passengers, watchdog agencies, and the family dog.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

So I just created my Sync account and it clearly states that I can't get three years of free traffic since I have the NAV unit. I am forced to buying Sat RADIO for traffic?

Quick Reply: WOW! SYNC 3 is here w/turn by turn(free)