Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW! SYNC 3 is here w/turn by turn(free)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Default WOW! SYNC 3 is here w/turn by turn(free)

I went on the SYNC website looking for updates and I saw SYNC 3 released. I downloaded and installed and now I should have turn by turn directions and traffic reports. Without the nav radio, just SHAKER 500 system. At least that is what I think I will have after the up to 24 hour activation period.

We SYNC owners get a free 3 year subscription to the traffic service. Cool!

Joe
Old 08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Let us know how that works out!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Version 3 has been up for quite some time, I upgraded to it over a month ago, who knows when it came out.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

I just saw Ver 3 yesterday on the site for the first time. But then again I just got the car 3 weeks ago. Anyway, it does give turn by turn directions, traffic and weather reports. I am very happy about that it is free for 3 years. Now I don't have to worry about mounting my TomTom on my new dash 8-)

Joe
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I like my Iphone for finding a route better, but if in a pinch, the SYNC works ok. It got me where I needed to go when I didnt want to pull over to use the phone.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM
ichiro51

I installed version 3 and the voice directions service about a month ago, and it does a fair job of replacing a separate nav unit. I was disappointed to hear that once you active directions, your phone is being charged for a call for the entire time, until you cancel route or arrive at the destination. At night or on weekends, it doesn't matter, but it might if you have to drive long distances during prime time hours.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ichiro51
I was disappointed to hear that once you active directions, your phone is being charged for a call for the entire time, until you cancel route or arrive at the destination. At night or on weekends, it doesn't matter, but it might if you have to drive long distances during prime time hours.
I'm sorry, where did you hear this? Does you navigation works if you don't have your cell phone in the car?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kinoman2002
I'm sorry, where did you hear this? Does you navigation works if you don't have your cell phone in the car?
the SYNC services like directions and weather work by using your cellphone connection. If your using them, your using minutes. there are notes for this when you activate them.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 AM
ichiro51

When I first downloaded version 3, I had some problems with my iphone, bluetooth, and the USB port (like MANY other people). So during one of my chat sessions with a Ford customer service rep, he warned me about phone minute usage when using SYNC directions. I agree that it's not a well advertised fact.

X, which nav app are you using for your iphone? Does it come in loud and clear through your SYNC (via bluetooth) or are you using the phone's speaker? I keep looking at iphone nav apps, and people have some harsh things to say about most of them.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ichiro51
X, which nav app are you using for your iphone? Does it come in loud and clear through your SYNC (via bluetooth) or are you using the phone's speaker? I keep looking at iphone nav apps, and people have some harsh things to say about most of them.
Im not using a downloaded app. Although, you can buy the tomtom app for 100 bucks and it turns your iphone into a fully functioning tomtom. I use the google maps that came with the phone. It dosnt have turn by turn, but, it searches and finds things faster and more intuitively then the SYNC could hope for. It dosnt have automated turn by turn or text to speech. I just review the route fight before i take off and then proceed. I can visualize directions pretty good so one or two scans of the route will work for me. If i forget something ill just either quickly look at the phone or pull over somewhere to check. Works good for me.

Quick Reply: WOW! SYNC 3 is here w/turn by turn(free)