MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Problems when refueling (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/558384-problems-when-refueling.html)

2011Black5.0 08-24-2009 01:35 AM

Problems when refueling

So ever since I got my car whenever I go to fill up my car it takes forever because every 5 to 10 seconds the nozzle will "pop" and stop fueling. I know that the nozzle senses that theres so many gas fumes coming back out, and thats why it stops, is there any way to get this to stop? Its such a pain, does anybody else have this problem too?

staggolee 08-24-2009 01:36 AM

I used to have this issue, but haven't had it in a while...

Red Beast 08-24-2009 03:06 AM

i think there was a recall on it, but i think its to late now, mine does it, the way i avoid it is by twisting the nozzle so insted of the nozzle coming out at a straight down 270 degree point, tilt it so its like coming back at like more a 210 degree angle. like how a Q has the tail off to the side, and ul prob just have to hold the handle the whole time like i do. one time the gas attendant saw my prob and came out and said i know theres probs with the mustangs. and he completley turned the nozzle so the handle was ontop... so just try finding the G spot on ur gas tank... and itl pour in fine

Tylus 08-24-2009 04:11 AM

instead of completely inserting the nozzle 100%, try it about 1/2 way.

some of my prior cars had this issue. the 1/2 in method seems to help most of the time

bigcanoe 08-24-2009 06:25 AM

Yep, I have had this issue since I bought my 2005, used. There was a gas tank system recall/replacement, but my car is out of warranty so I just deal with it.

Nuke 08-24-2009 07:01 AM

There's a few TSB's on this and some claim that the TSB fix still didn't solve their problem. I have this occur on occasion also. Try a different gas pump as some are more sensitive than others. Also, turn the pump handle about 45-90 degrees when you begin pumping, begin the fuel delivery slowly and try beginining fuel delivery with the nozzle partly inserted. All of these, individually or in combination, have worked for me. I know, it's a PITA.

Mike02z 08-24-2009 09:13 AM

They either must have fixed this before the 08 model or I got really lucky because I have never had this issue with my Mustang. I do have a similar issue with my other car and for that I just insert the nozzle upside down and it does the trick.

Chris07GT 08-24-2009 10:03 AM

Try a different gas station if you always go to the same one. This happens all the time on my wifes Nissan, so I just started going to a BP station to fill hers up, as that one doesn't seem to be as sensitive

2011Black5.0 08-24-2009 10:11 AM

thanks for all the responses guys, ya at mobils its the worst, thats what actually made me post this, it took 10 minutes to fill up half a tank then I just gave up. Theres a shell station by my house that is pretty good thats why I mostly go there. Sometimes it will have the problem till the tanks about half full then it will fill up just fine after that. Its annoying but I guess ill just put up with it lol do any of you know if you can pay the dealer to fix it once your cars out of warranty? I wonder how much it would be to have whatever they did to fix it done.

Branomano06GT 08-24-2009 11:19 AM

Hey man yea my 06 GT use to do that as well.. just turn it upside down works everytime. Also Call me I lost my cell phone and just got a new one so I need your # so we can chill sometime.