Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster Swap reall Worth it?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Default Gauge Cluster Swap reall Worth it?

Hey guys, unforutnally at the time I did not have the funds to get a premium GT, so I settled for a Deluxe GT instead. What I am trying to do is upgrade my standard 4 gauge cluster to the premium 6 gauge with driver info center. I was quoted 415 for the new cluster and 29.96 for the switch that lets me toggle through the info center. Then the Guy quoted me a price of 190.00 to install. I have heard that you do not need to go to ford for the install from the 05-09 guys that switched to the my color option. But the Ford guy tells me I need to go to them because they have the Ford Computer to download my Odometer info to the new one! Is there anyway I could program my own? And do you guys think it is worth all this money?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

i have premium, its nice to have that cluster. but im not sure i would foot around 800 bucks after tax to have a slightly upgraded factory gauge cluster put in. thats me though.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

If you swap out the Instrument Panel Cluster, you'll need to download data from the old one to a 'scan tool' (Ford dealership tool), then re-upload it to the new IPC. Also, there is a parameter reset procedure that is done when changing out the IPC, which erases all vehicle keys. You'll need to have at least 2 keys available to re-program, but I'm not sure how exactly that's done.

For what it's worth...
Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

GrayGhost01GT,

Are you sure everything is Plug-and-Play? It's definitely an awesome cluster, and I love MyColor gauges, but this project could turn into a real headache. I assume warranty would no longer cover these components.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

So I would not still be able to keep my warrenty when swaping to OEM Ford Product? Or would they not just warrenty the cluster?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost01GT
So I would not still be able to keep my warrenty when swaping to OEM Ford Product? Or would they not just warrenty the cluster?
Well....in reality, chances are the dealer wouldn't know your car didn't come with the premium gauge cluster unless they have a keen eye.

My concern would be dropping $700 and then things still don't work. It sounds like you have most items covered though
Old 08-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Glad to see you found a solution. You obviously wanted this enough to do the research and find someone, so........

Do what you want! Only you can answer "Is the new guages worth $600?". If it works out, you'll smile every time you look down at those gauges.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't know whether you are looking for functionality, appearance or both. I don't have the six gauge cluster, so I don't know how the oil pressure and voltage gauges work.

On a lot of Fords, the oil pressure "gauge" just indicates if there is dangerously low pressure or if there is supposedly enough pressure. It is an idiot light without the light. It does not show, for example, the differences in oil pressure when you start a cold engine, when a warm engine is running at highway speed, or when a warm engine is idling in traffic. The needle just stays at half scale.

The voltage gauge, from what I understand, is not super accurate. If you want a really accurate reading you need to use a digital multimeter. If you want something that is so-so, you could probably find an analog gauge to plug into the power point for around $20 and have the same functionality as a built-in gauge.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

I dont think its the guages functionality as much as the apperance.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

very much so, I love the appearance never2muchhp, but I also love the fuel to emtpy I had that on my silverado and it is just a nifty feature and the onboard computer. But u hit the nail right on the head with the good looks of the gauges! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Swap reall Worth it?