Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much can just the block handle?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
but if the stock block can handle what i want then why spend all that extra scratch? im not puttin more than 600-650 MAX..i dont need a forged block that can handle 1000+hp..my daily doesnt need to have a parachute on the back lol
Maybe my choice of words was not right, I'm talking about a pre-built short block, with a forged rotating assembly.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 the block is the strongest part of the engine. The weakest are the connecting rods and piston rings.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
Maybe my choice of words was not right, I'm talking about a pre-built short block, with a forged rotating assembly.
Short block means block+rotating assembly (no heads) so your terminology was correct.

Long block means block+rotating assembly+heads
Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

yeah an entire forged short block is runnin 4500-5500 maybe more...i can keep the stock block and get a forged rotating assembly for less than 2k

Bottom left package

http://haneymotorsport.com/HMS%204.6...ing%20Kits.htm
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Man, you guys are lucky. I hate being so young and not having a "real" job. I cant wait to finish school and get something that pays a bit higher then <20k a year so i can start considering mods like this.

How much does it cost for forged internals with install?
and what else would you need? Internals, blower, suspension, clutch, and tranny?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Income is all relative...

Between my wife and I we make 6 figures..but with a mortgage, my wife taking college courses at night, my oldest in college, one car payment, car insurance and maintenance for three cars, a cat, a dog, property taxes, health insurance, groceries for 5 people, pool supplies, yard maintenance, Electricity bill of $350 a month during the summer (AZ summers suck!!!), 401Ks, Savings, and my two other kids in Jr High and High school, that money gets blown pretty fast.

Notice i didn't even mention other things like cell phone, heating gas, cable, etc, etc, etc.

Good god, *I* need a better paying job
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Man, you guys are lucky. I hate being so young and not having a "real" job. I cant wait to finish school and get something that pays a bit higher then <20k a year so i can start considering mods like this.

How much does it cost for forged internals with install?
and what else would you need? Internals, blower, suspension, clutch, and tranny?
my plans are go forged, stage 2 clutch, new tranny(not sure which one yet) bigger brakes, bigger tires and wheels and then twin turbos...its going to take me some time but thats what i want to do...
Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

your list of parts deserves better than just a forged rotating assembly.

do it right the first time around, or you will be right back in there later on down the road to fix something broken.

I personally would buy a Forged Short-block that has been stroked out to a 5.0. Re-use the current heads with a little port/polish work and better valve/springs.

then you could easily run 15-20 psi with a twin turbo setup and have a wicked motor...not to mention probably 350-375 hp when the turbo's aren't spooled & boosting
Old 08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
your list of parts deserves better than just a forged rotating assembly.

do it right the first time around, or you will be right back in there later on down the road to fix something broken.

I personally would buy a Forged Short-block that has been stroked out to a 5.0. Re-use the current heads with a little port/polish work and better valve/springs.

then you could easily run 15-20 psi with a twin turbo setup and have a wicked motor...not to mention probably 350-375 hp when the turbo's aren't spooled & boosting
do you know of someone that will let me finance a built short-block? im just trying to get by the cheapest i can..i dont see a prob with just a rotating assembly and stock block(the rest of the list is pending, not final plans)..it would be cheaper and be able to handle what im asking for...? ?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you plan on installing the rotating assembly yourself? if not, a built short block may be a better idea. i am looking towards a FRPP aluminator $4500, stock displacement and stroke, run my stock heads and cams and run 550 rwhp on the street. then i can use my stock block for my next project or sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much can just the block handle?