Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 mustang - corrosion, MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM
jetjock007

Unhappy 06 mustang - corrosion, MUST READ!!!

I apologize in advance for the length of this thread. I highly suggest you read it and pass it along because this is something that is not controllable and if it happens to you...well I hope you have better luck than I have.

I recently visited my dealership to voice a complaint about a small piece of the hood that is corroded. I was told that I was the 2nd mustang with the similar problem. On the front lip of the hood it is evident corrosion and the paint has recently peeled off due to oxidation and corrosion. So now on my black mustang, I have a quarter size spot on the very front lip of the hood that shows the actual metal without the paint.

Long story short, FORD said DENIED! I spoke with the service manager and he sent pictures to FORD and they came back sticking me with the warranty provisions. Currently I have about 60k miles on the car, well the warranty is 5years from purchase date with unlimited mileage. I did my homework and looked up the warranty...it is as follows :

Corrosion Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the
warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion
due to a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. Corrosion coverage (which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles driven) only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels.

If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), and is not the result of
usage and/or environmental conditions, paint damage is covered under
the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles,
whichever occurs first). For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) - where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty - our policy is to cover paint damage due to airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Unless holes are evident, then I am out of luck. My car is a 2006 and I will be covered until 2011 for the corrosion warranty. I am driving a mustang that I use to be very proud of and now its embarrassing.

My question is does anyone else have something similar?
Did you get it resolved?
Is it possible to speed up the corrosion to make it have a hole?

....please help. A new car (2006) should not be doing this. I only wish that this does not happen to anyone else.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 PM
bks

I have a 2003 Ford F250 with the same problem except on the bottom of the doors. I also was told this was not covered. Make sure you watch where the outer door skin rolls over and attaches to the inner door frame. You can't do this on a hood, but I keep the bottom of my doors oiled up to keep it from getting any worse.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
jetjock007

I really am looking for a solution to speed up and excel this to create a hole in the hood....any ideas?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

The TSB # is 06-25-15
It has been discussed here many times.

Here's one thread;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ue-update.html

Last edited by 07 Stang; 08-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by jetjock007
I apologize in advance for the length of this thread. I highly suggest you read it and pass it along because this is something that is not controllable and if it happens to you...well I hope you have better luck than I have.

I recently visited my dealership to voice a complaint about a small piece of the hood that is corroded. I was told that I was the 2nd mustang with the similar problem. On the front lip of the hood it is evident corrosion and the paint has recently peeled off due to oxidation and corrosion. So now on my black mustang, I have a quarter size spot on the very front lip of the hood that shows the actual metal without the paint.

Long story short, FORD said DENIED! I spoke with the service manager and he sent pictures to FORD and they came back sticking me with the warranty provisions. Currently I have about 60k miles on the car, well the warranty is 5years from purchase date with unlimited mileage. I did my homework and looked up the warranty...it is as follows :

Corrosion Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the
warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion
due to a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. Corrosion coverage (which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles driven) only applies if the corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels.

If corrosion does not cause perforation (holes), and is not the result of
usage and/or environmental conditions, paint damage is covered under
the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles,
whichever occurs first). For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) - where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty - our policy is to cover paint damage due to airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Unless holes are evident, then I am out of luck. My car is a 2006 and I will be covered until 2011 for the corrosion warranty. I am driving a mustang that I use to be very proud of and now its embarrassing.

My question is does anyone else have something similar?
Did you get it resolved?
Is it possible to speed up the corrosion to make it have a hole?

....please help. A new car (2006) should not be doing this. I only wish that this does not happen to anyone else.
I had the same issue on my '05 but it showed up before 18K miles so it waws fixed with no questions asked.

Sorry to hear your having this issue but your definitely not the only one
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem, let me know if you find a loophole

Last edited by suttanstyle; 08-25-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

That sucks. I would be pretty pissed. Take the hood off and let it soak in salt water for a couple of days.