Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good & Bad news at the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Default Good & Bad news at the Dyno

Interesting night at the dyno, found out some things I need and found some issues too. First off let me paint you a picture of where the dyno we were using was located which will play into some of the good things found out.

The dyno was located in a building with only one roll up door that had been pretty much closed up all day long. The weather for the day hit 90 and humidity was at 60%(The run conditions at the time were 90.91 degrees acoording to the dyno print out). When we opened up the door I figured that the dyno would be sitting just inside so we could draw in cool air but nope, the dyno was all the way in the back. So it was hot in the build and very humid to say the least. There were only 2 very small fans to push any air at the car but they were really not doing anything to help put cool air at it.

So we get the car setup on the dyno and Doug tells me, “You know with your car being an automatic we won’t be able to get you to 450 at the tires with out pushing more boost do to drive train loss and other issues. 420 to 430 yes but that’s about it.” Ok cool I can deal with those numbers because I really don’t want to push any more boost without getting the lower end forged.

So we start are first run and the car hits 408 RWHP right out of the gate, Doug makes a few adjustments and we start the 2nd run and the car hits 426 RWHP & 360 torque. At this time Doug lets me know that the car is making all kinds of power and now feels we can make 450 RWHP since the motor is so strong. So I’m pump up now knowing that I must of lucked out and got a factory freak! But….Now comes in the issues.....

First off I only had the stock MAF and no MAFia to boost up the air which is problem one. The other issue was that the KB boost a pump was not boosting my fuel pressure at all so we checked it and it was working but the pump was not out putting the fuel pressure. So Doug and my installer sat down and started brain storming what the issue was and they both remembered running into this issue once before. It seems that the gage of the wire used on the stock fuel pump for my year (06) is not large enough to handle the increased voltage and thus would not respond to the KB boost a pump. So after that we called it a night until the stock fuel pump and KB can be rewired and we install a MAFia.

So in the end the good news is that even with a pegged out MAF and just running off the stock fuel pump with no other supporting mods but my x-pipe with high flow catts in a very hot & humid bay the car was still able to crank out 426 RWHP & 360 torque. And we now know it can make a lot more for sure……… Also I have not changed out my gears (yet) so this was with my 20's and 3.31 gears

Last edited by CutterWolf; 08-26-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

So with mine being an 05 will I be running into the same issue with my KB boost-a-pump??

Grats on those numbers though, it sucks you had issues, I lose sleep at night thinking about all the horrors that can happen on my install/dyno day.

Last edited by CalmLikeaBomb; 08-26-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

very nice... i want to hear how it does
after the wiring change and MAFia addition.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalmLikeaBomb
So with mine being an 05 will I be running into the same issue with my KB boost-a-pump??
Maybe, maybe not but you mite want to check on it.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

What was your peak injector duty cycle at during the run?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Anybody else find that TQ number low?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Probably a centri blower which explains that.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Ah...with all the KB Boost a Pump comments in there I must have misread and assumed he had a KB blower.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalmLikeaBomb
What was your peak injector duty cycle at during the run?
I did not ask at the time.

Riptide Probably a centri blower which explains that.
Yes, it's a Paxton Novi 2200 SL H.O.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

What kind of dyno was it?

Quick Reply: Good & Bad news at the Dyno