Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 Swap question

Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default GT500 Swap question

Looking into purchasing a motor/tranny setup from a wrecked GT500.

I currently have an 06 GT with 5spd.

What all would be needed for the swap?
Can the program be re-programmed...or does it need to be replaced?
What about the wiring harness??

Does anyone know of someone whose done it?
I know there are a few out there, and ive seen pics, but cant get ahold of anybody.

-The factory hood wont clear the top of the motor, but many people have said there are different motor mounts for this?!?! Is this correct??

-I know that the transmission would have a lock out for the 6th gear (which is where our reverse is now?!?

Looking for any info I can get so that I can prepare myself for the job before i go ***** deep...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Look up plstang. He has successfully done it.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Here you go

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...500-motor.html
Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know how to get ahold of him??

Looks like he doesnt accept PM's.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Looking into doing this as well. Local shop near me has done it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNmbkXPXRuU
Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I've run the numbers on a bunch of engine swap options and just from an acceleration standpoint swapping a wrecked GT500 engine will actually be SLOWER and cost MORE, than doing a tuned built N/A 5.0.

I've dealt with engine swaps and built engines before and I'm one of the most frugal builders out there. Very few people can do a job cheaper and not only is there more cost involved with the GT500 swap but it's actually more risky to become much more expensive. A mustang guy that lives a block away to me did a GT500 swap and I've discussed the swap with the shop that did it for dozens of hours so I'm not just speaking about the swap like I know about it, because I do know about it. The shop that did it in the first place even told me that they wouldn't do it again even at the price where it was still more expensive than upgrading the stock block.

So now that you know all the horrible details of the reduced acceleration and increased cost of such a swap, it's worth mentioning that it will also kill your handling, especially without expensive GT500 suspension parts.

For less money you can make your engine capable of 850 horsepower on a safe tune and for less money as well you can achieve that 850 horsepower.

I'm actually in the process of swapping the 620 hp engine out of my saleen into my v6 convertible and building a brand new forged Saleen based 5.0 block which will be making 850 horsepower any day now.

I could put a gt500 engine in my car too (there's one for sale with tr-6060 transmission for $3500 around me) but it's an idea that makes no sense.

Last edited by Legion5; 08-29-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:57 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
I've run the numbers on a bunch of engine swap options and just from an acceleration standpoint swapping a wrecked GT500 engine will actually be SLOWER and cost MORE, than doing a tuned built N/A 5.0.

I've dealt with engine swaps and built engines before and I'm one of the most frugal builders out there. Very few people can do a job cheaper and not only is there more cost involved with the GT500 swap but it's actually more risky to become much more expensive. A mustang guy that lives a block away to me did a GT500 swap and I've discussed the swap with the shop that did it for dozens of hours so I'm not just speaking about the swap like I know about it, because I do know about it. The shop that did it in the first place even told me that they wouldn't do it again even at the price where it was still more expensive than upgrading the stock block.

So now that you know all the horrible details of the reduced acceleration and increased cost of such a swap, it's worth mentioning that it will also kill your handling, especially without expensive GT500 suspension parts.

For less money you can make your engine capable of 850 horsepower on a safe tune and for less money as well you can achieve that 850 horsepower.

I'm actually in the process of swapping the 620 hp engine out of my saleen into my v6 convertible and building a brand new forged Saleen based 5.0 block which will be making 850 horsepower any day now.

I could put a gt500 engine in my car too (there's one for sale with tr-6060 transmission for $3500 around me) but it's an idea that makes no sense.

Doesnt your Saleen already have a forged 5.0 Saleen motor if you have the 620 extreme? Why would you do that when you would just be doing double the work. Why not just put the new motor and put it into your v6?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5

hmmmmm..................

you can grab a gt500 swap w/ tranny for $3500? and thats more expensive than building a 5.0? i thought the gt500 motors were good for over 850hp stock?

even if you didnt want the gt500 swap, for $3500 you could make some serious profit.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
Doesnt your Saleen already have a forged 5.0 Saleen motor if you have the 620 extreme? Why would you do that when you would just be doing double the work. Why not just put the new motor and put it into your v6?
It's a 4.6 forged extreme that's tuned with longtube headers and a few other goodies. The 302 extreme is actually more like 640 hp. I thought I'd save money by doing only the bottom end and not redoing the cylinders and block which were already broken in on the stock 3v motor. Now I'm not satisfied yet.

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
hmmmmm..................

you can grab a gt500 swap w/ tranny for $3500? and thats more expensive than building a 5.0? i thought the gt500 motors were good for over 850hp stock?

even if you didnt want the gt500 swap, for $3500 you could make some serious profit.

Yeah it's an amazing deal, WITH accessories but without the ECU the main component of the issue is the cost of the transmission install buying the expensive ECU, motor mounts the gt500 engine brace etc. and the more complex install overhead. You'll need to buy the engine mounting hardware either way and most of the engines you will find are missing expensive parts because junkyards are designed to churn out replacement parts not kits to swap engines.

In the end it's all about costs.

Last edited by Legion5; 08-30-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

I still want to see a video of legions car to see if its even real.........If you said you have gone to the moon he has gone twice and got 30mpg on his rocket......I call "FRUGAL" BS on half of the posts you have.......thats just me though.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT500 Swap question