Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP - Extended Service PLan from Ford - is it as good as regular warranty?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After over 1 million miles, I feel confident that I don't need an extended warranty. Can things fail? Absolutely. But had I bought into extended warranties I'd be out thousands of dollars after roughly 8 vehicles. I'd rather set the $$ aside then buy a policy IF I was tight on cash (or expected to be).
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nuieve
3 year Premium plan (500 point) is $1400 with $100 deductible for a 2005 GT. Looks pretty comprehensive. I'm thinking about buying a used Mustang, so I'd really like some peace of mind. Besides I'm pretty sure that if anything breaks on the car, it will soon be the same $1000 or so.

Anyone had that?

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/pricing...el=premiumCare
I've had ford ESP and it's pretty good. The only thing you really need to be leary of is that it's an extended service plan for your DRIVETRAIN ONLY. Meaning it's not bumper to bumper like the OEM. With my 08 I went with a 3rd party one after reviewing what ESP coverd and the 3rd party covered. With my wife's 06 Escape we had gotten the ford ESP well, that's not drivetrain, so when the sunroof went out, outside of warranty. I had to out of pocket it ($950 bucks later). Had we had the third party warranty, that would've been covered. Dealer still gave us a loaner but we had to come up with the cost to fix it.

To those that say the warranty's are a waste of money. Keep this in mind. If you plan on keeping your car for longer than the OEM warranty and actually use it as a primary DD then you know what a pain in the **** it is to be without a car or a loaner while it's at the shop. Let alone not having the time to fix it yourself.

The warranties can always be refunded or prorated depending on whether or not it was actually used.

As a homeowner, with three kids and no time to myself I would buy the warranty and if you don't use it or plan on getting rid of the car before it comes time to use, get a refund. It's not that hard. Been there, done that too.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nuke
After over 1 million miles, I feel confident that I don't need an extended warranty. Can things fail? Absolutely. But had I bought into extended warranties I'd be out thousands of dollars after roughly 8 vehicles. I'd rather set the $$ aside then buy a policy IF I was tight on cash (or expected to be).

You must be single or at least married without kids

Tight on cash is all the time and unexpected things happen all the time. My time is more valuable than putzin around with a shop and trying to figure out how I'm going to get to work or take my kid to her swim meet or my son to his lacross practice.

So a warranty is not for everyone. If you have a reliable second line of transpo or can do without a car for a few days at a time (should it happen) and you have hardly any bills or at least a nice chunk left over every month, then you should not get the warranty and I agree it woudl be a waste. But, if you've become accustomed to expect the unexpected or to be able to change plans on whim and you have your money already tied up in other projects or investements/savings that are not easily divereted, then consider it.

It's like warranties for computers. If you're a college student and the extended warranty says you can get a loaner or have your shiz fixed ASAP then it's worth it for you. For me, it's a waste, I have 6 computers at my disposal at home and I back my stuff up. I could be up and running in 10 minutes if my PC takes a dive and not skip a beat. in other words, that would not be a good buy for me.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Nuieve

Originally Posted by Derf00
I've had ford ESP and it's pretty good. The only thing you really need to be leary of is that it's an extended service plan for your DRIVETRAIN ONLY.
Err... no. Not just drivetrain, it's pretty much the whole car, but yes it doesn't mention sunroofs. But personally I don't care if my car has one, never use them anyway.

Air Conditioning & Heating*

* A/C clutch
* A/C accumulator
* A/C clutch bearings
* A/C compressor
* A/C compressor head
* A/C compressor seals
* A/C compressor/clutch switch
* Automatic temperature control
* Condenser
* Evaporator
* Field coil
* Heater blower motor
* Heater control cables
* Heater core assembly
* Instrument panel registers and air ducts
* Pulley

High-Tech

* Air suspension, electronic (selected components)
* Anti-theft alarm, factory-installed
* Compass and thermometer readout displays
* Instrument cluster, electronic (excluding dash pad)
* Keyless entry system (excluding door handles)
* Power antenna
* Power door locks and retainer clips (excluding door handles)
* Power seat motors
* Power window motors/regulators
* Speed control
* Windshield, Insta-Clear® (Electrical only - not glass damage or breaking)

Audio

* Antenna, radio (base assembly)
* Brackets, cables, and wiring
* Cassette player
* Controls, rear seat
* Digital CD player
* Graphic sound equalizer
* Cellular phone, receiver, handset, speaker assembly, and antenna, factory-installed
* Premium sound amplifier, factory-installed
* Radio, AM, AM/FM
* Speakers

Electrical

* Alternator
* Backglass, heated (Electrical only - not glass damage or breakage)
* Charge & volt gauges
* Clock, electric
* Coil, ignition
* Distributor assembly
* Distributor cap and rotor
* Distributor housing and shaft
* Fuel pump
* Ignition lock
* Ignition module, electronic
* Mirrors, motorized (Electrical only - not glass/housing damage or breakage)
* Radiator fan relay
* Starter motor
* Starter motor solenoid
* Switches, manually operated Electrical
* Temperature gauge
* Voltage regulator
* Wiper motors
* Wiring harnesses (excluding spark plug wires)
Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How old is the document you pulled that from? I saw the one at my dealer and I did a side by side of the two before deciding which if any I was going to go with. ESP has dropped most of the coverages and opted for mainly drivetrain and some supporting items like fuel pump and coils but nowhere near what your list has.

ESP vs the one I ended up with. The 3rd party one I got said something along the lines of ... Bumper to bumper as the original OEM warranty with the exception of parts that are aftermarket or aftermarket parts that cause damage to otherwise warrantied parts.

ESP didn't do squat for the sunroof in my wifes escape. This company would have. I personaly don't care for sunroofs either but it is her car/truck, not mine. Although she's of the same opinion now on them. Not in AZ.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Nuieve

Originally Posted by Derf00
How old is the document you pulled that from?
From the Ford website. Have you seen the link in the very first post in this thread?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

I got the premiumcare for mine. Love the peice of mind. I don't plan on doing any powewrtrain mods though. Just a Roush 427r bodykit. Don't gotta worry about that voiding my warranty...
Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM
JimC

A lot depends upon your dealer service department. When I blew the head gaskets they knew all the performance changes I had done, saw the nitrous lines running into the engine compartment "I see you added a new toy since it was in last, has it been hooked up yet" and when I told him no it was just in the install process he told the dealer that it hadn't been hooked up and it was covered by the extended warranty (ESP) even though the car had over 70,000 miles on it and they knew I had been to the track several times.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

I have bought an ESP for every Ford I've owned and EVERYONE of them has paid for itself. I love the product but knowing ANYTHING is possible makes the "insurance policy" well worth it. The Ford warranty can be used at ANY Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealer in the country.

Sure having the time to find a reliable honest mechanic locally would be ideal, but what about have the way across the country on vacation with the "Griswold's" in the car with you? NOW WHAT?

As for my toy, I bought it this time not for the motor/driveline, but for incidentals like an electric window regulator, a/c evaporator, or ECM.

To each his own. It gives me a warm and fuzzy.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
drag0n77jbp

My wife and I have owned a lot of cars, and five were brand new. My current car (Roush 427R) is the only one that I've purchased with an extended warranty. Even though we've been very lucky through the years, I didn't want to take a chance on my car this time around. Besides, with the supercharger and all of the other things that Rough does to these cars, what's another $2,000 or so on a $50K car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP - Extended Service PLan from Ford - is it as good as regular warranty?