Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes mid muffler mods for sound (quieter etc)

Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Pypes mid muffler mods for sound (quieter etc)

Has anyone modified their Pypes mid muffler setup with resonators, etc to make them a bit quieter? Mine are pretty gd loud with the longtubes and cams, even with a catted mid-pipe. It seems they get louder and louder the older they get. I prefer the "no muffler" look from behind and the sound is great, I'd just like to quiet them down a bit.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Midnight Express
2nd Gear Member

I am going to get my MM system installed in the next week or so. I am in the same boat as you. ill do some research.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You could always get some glass packs after your H and it will quiet it down without distording the sound.
I did this on my old Cougar (2 chamber Flowmasters) and it's perfect now.
Was way too loud before.

If you do this, clamp them first and once you're sure you like the sound, weld them up.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Great idea. I know some people have piped resonators inline (like the glasspacks you suggest) to alleviate trumpeting and give it a more mellow, civilized tone. It's a really raw exhaust note, even with the catted pipe and my cams are so goddamn cold natured with the A/C on it's a pita. As soon as you kick the AC on it's hard to get a good idle until she warms and the tune is spot on. Idles perfectly with the AC off when cold but it's 100 degrees in the shade here and I need AC immediately or break a good sweat for 20 mins while she warms up. yeah, I know I'm just a p-u-ssy lol.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:46 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

I kinda know where youre coming from. i just recently ditched my borlas for a set of M-80s, and its pretty damn loud now..even though i only have hi-flows! sounds amazing..just a little too much! im thinking of having a set of dynomax resonators that ive had laying around welded in to the catback pipe to tame it down some. i had the M-80s welded in just after the H pipe, so theres plenty of room for the resonators under the fuel tank where the MM system places them, im just hoping it wont quiet it down too much. LOL.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

when you do that POST A video clip .. i have shrties O/R X and mm welded in and there a little loud .. but would love to tame them down abit with out buying a new xpipe
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I was going to say add cats but I guess you have them. I run high flow cats with shorty headers and a MM system but don't think it's too loud, but there should be room to weld some resonators under there, also look at just getting a longer muffler. Magnaflow makes mufflers just like the m-80s but you can get the pretty long, like 28" I'm sure that will quite it down some more.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10436/
Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

i have the same exhaust as starfire^ and i don't think it is loud at all.....i think it is one of the tamest exhaust set-ups i have had....
j
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
i have the same exhaust as starfire^ and i don't think it is loud at all.....i think it is one of the tamest exhaust set-ups i have had....
j
Yeah but it sounds damn good, it does echo in an overpass pretty well though!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
j
I think it because you and starfire both have the magnaflow catted X, which is a little more tame, but i have bassani race cats with a metallic spun core and theyre so small and short that they probably arent doin alot to keep things as quiet! every setup ive run with these cats has been louder than anything ive heard on youtube etc. to me it sounds more like my old O/R pipe than a catted pipe and everybody that hears my car is surprised i havent gotten pulled over yet( me too)...maybe the cats are just possesed! haha.