Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New DIY Mode: Homelink for Vert

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Smile New DIY Mode: Homelink for Vert

I just installed a homelink on my vert. Unfortubnately very few convenient spots in my car, so I fallowed 157db garage opener idea. I installed it behind my headlight and connected it to my high beams wiring and taped a washer on the button. It works like a charm every time I flash my high beams!! Easy install too!

Thanks a lot for the idea 157db!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
walnetto

Sounds like a plan.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
walnetto

Just thought of something. When you run your high beams, won't the homelink be running? I don't know if this is a good idea for the homelink. Isn't that the way you program it by pressing the button for at least 30 seconds until the light starts flashing? I'm thinking twice about doing this.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by walnetto
Just thought of something. When you run your high beams, won't the homelink be running? I don't know if this is a good idea for the homelink. Isn't that the way you program it by pressing the button for at least 30 seconds until the light starts flashing? I'm thinking twice about doing this.
You are absolutely right. You should not hold high beams more than 30secs with this setup.

My fogs are brighter than high beams. I use them only to signal, so for me it works. For others it may not.

If I figure out a better solution for the vert, (or any one else for the same matter) please chime in.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

How many times do you actually use your high beams? I think in all my years of driving (since 1975) I can only count on one hand the number of times they are used. So, I think by integrating the Home-Link in your headlight is an excellent idea!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
I just installed a homelink on my vert. Unfortubnately very few convenient spots in my car, so I fallowed 157db garage opener idea. I installed it behind my headlight and connected it to my high beams wiring and taped a washer on the button. It works like a charm every time I flash my high beams!! Easy install too!

Thanks a lot for the idea 157db!
That's the setup I want. I have a Vert too. Can you maybe post some pictures? Having a hard time wrapping my head around this one but this is DEFINATELY how I want to set up my door opener! Mostly, how large is the homelink device? What does it look like? Can I get one from the auto wreckers? Thanks, any advice would be a great help!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 PM
walnetto

Default Where to get a homelink

Most people shop on ebay. If you type in homelink in the search bar, you will get at least 1,000 hits. They all have pictures, so you can scroll pretty fast to see one that tickles your fancy. The ones the guys have been getting is small enough to fit inside your upper console, about the size of a business card. But one write up said theirs was 3x5 which seems too big to fit inside the console. They usually come from a visor so it is pretty thin and small. Only has two wires, + & -. The one I put in my Challenger had 4 wires. Two more the CAN B bus to make the lights in the buttons work. The visor ones don't have lights. If you see a visor one on ebay, you will see the outer plate is oval, about the length of your baby finger. However, if you put it in the hood, it really doesn't matter since you will be taping the button down so when you give it juice, it will work. The trouble is, the button is integrated with the circuit board. I would like to install a remote button switch somewhere to activate it. For that matter, if I could do that, I'd modify my door opener and leave it in the glove box. The wife is complaining that the remote rattles when clipped to the visor. Isn't it strange that we fuss over not having to open the center console and twist your arm all out of joint feeling for the remote?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM
walnetto

Default Homelink mod

Did you see this thread? This is what it looks like.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-install.html
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I made a trip to Home Depot and found they have keyring-sized universal remotes, about the size of a quarter and about 3/8 inch thick. They come with a small velcro strip, so mine is attached inside the driver side door pocket at the top in front. Can't be seen from above or inside, the door handle blocks the view. Not very fancy but works. I just reach down and press the button when I need to, transmitter has no problem detecting the signal.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by walnetto
Did you see this thread? This is what it looks like.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-install.html
Sure did thanks.