Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAINTED VALVE COVER PICS........

Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Thinking about a little color to mine as my original "stealthy" plan just makes things look to plain under the hood. My Moroso tanks will be here today and I need to think through my original plan to coat them black or maybe just leave them bare, silver coat my other cam covers and have the caps coated black. Lots to think about...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Aside from the powdercoated black ones, this all seems rather....ricey.

People (and manufacturers) have been painting valve covers LONG before "ricers" even existed... Long before- as in decades...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Scotte28516
These cam covers(not valve covers) are made of magnesium.
Originally Posted by Boozshey
C'mon now... Yeah CAM Covers, I only call them Valve covers for the sake of the ignorant.
Partial part numbers/names from the S197 Service manual, re: valve cover r&r.

4 6582 RH valve cover
5 6C519 RH valve cover bolt
6 6584 RH valve cover gasket

Cam covers? Really? Ford doesn't seem to think so. And "ignorant"? C'mon. Now, I don't know how much you know about cars (obviously not much), but underneath that cam, beyond the followers you have these things that open and close the combustion chamber in the engine allowing air and fuel (and the waste gasses of the combustion process we call exhaust) to flow through. They're called valves. They (and the rest of the parts of the valve train) need to be covered to keep the internals of your engine from getting contaminated. We use things called valve covers to do this.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 10-13-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Scotte28516
Ok, here's a little hit to the people who've painted theirs. These cam covers(not valve covers) are made of magnesium. Painting them will look good for a few months, but magnesium is a very porus metal, and painting them will result in very short term results. The paint will eventually start flaking off after several months. Powder coating gives much better results. The painted covers look good now, but will go to crap soon. I have been through this with mine, and after researching why the flaking happened, i learned that you either have to plate them or powder coat them.
Bingo. The only bad thing is they have pockets in them that will bubble up when you powder coat them from oil getting into them during use!

I finally threw mine on, they look great! Just need to get my Canton Tanks and STB back from the powder coater!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

the blue ones look bad ***.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
Are those the NEW Saleen Fuel Rails?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Are those the NEW Saleen Fuel Rails?
Haha no way I would pay that much, they are the Fore rails (Fore makes the Saleen rails). Don't care for badging/branding on my car. Let's take a pole, leave em as is or swap em for some black rails. I'm torn!

Last edited by EagleStroker; 10-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Haha no way I would pay that much, they are the Fore rails. Let's take a pole, leave em as is or swap em for some black ones. I'm torn!
Switch them for black ones and sell those to me for supa cheap!

But honestly, I think Black would look better. They are going to look out of place if you are getting your aluminum tanks pc'd. It will be the only aluminum showing and kinda strange.... :/
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
Partial part numbers/names from the S197 Service manual, re: valve cover r&r.

4 6582 RH valve cover
5 6C519 RH valve cover bolt
6 6584 RH valve cover gasket

Cam covers? Really? Ford doesn't seem to think so. And "ignorant"? C'mon. Now, I don't know how much you know about cars (obviously not much), but underneath that cam, beyond the followers you have these things that open and close the combustion chamber in the engine allowing air and fuel (and the waste gasses of the combustion process we call exhaust) to flow through. They're called valves. They (and the rest of the parts of the valve train) need to be covered to keep the internals of your engine from getting contaminated. We use things called valve covers to do this.
Sorry I completely missed your post...

WOW AMAZING!!! Nope, you're right. I know nothing about cars along with everyone else that talks about these things in a logical sense... I also didn't realize that the CAM COVERS on the 3V SOHC dirrectly covers the CAMSHAFTs. I also didn't know that some even call "valve" covers Rocker Arm Covers or Valve Rocker Arm Covers when they are directly covering rocker arms. But wait, oh yeah, I don't know anything... Nice job....

http://www.gpfracing.com/scripts/pro...idproduct=1181
http://www.steeda.com/images/cam_covers_575.jpg <-Notice the name of the pic...
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=583cPath=85

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET HOW IGNORANT AND UNKNOWING AS FRPP THEMSELVES!!! http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9042

Incase you didn't know, ignorant is exactly what you would be. It's an educated word, I know it's big and not heard a lot and sometimes those that rode the short bus consider it to be an insult and aren't use to such words. But I insure you that it's no derogatory. It's merely a word to describe someone not knowing something.
Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : unaware, uninformed

Maybe you should stick to the toys...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Haha no way I would pay that much, they are the Fore rails (Fore makes the Saleen rails). Don't care for badging/branding on my car. Let's take a pole, leave em as is or swap em for some black rails. I'm torn!

Black all the way and then get me those measurements

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PAINTED VALVE COVER PICS........