Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Break-in" Period

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
I use Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend with a FL820S filter (4.6L V8). It's Ford Spec for that engine, and what you'll get if you go to the dealership. Call me plain if you must.

On the upside, that oil does come in 5-qt jugs for $16.99 at the AutoZone in my area, and the FL820S filter is $3.50. Neither were on sale at the time.

And for those who are interested, the Motorcraft FL820S filters appear to be from the Purolator family, which also includes Bosch, ProLine, and a few others. See http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html for more info.
Good info FordEngineer. Thanx.

And apologies to the forum for going off topic ("Break-in" Period) in this thread.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

@10GTPony: If you want more info on changing the oil, including removing the lower engine cover and getting at the filter (the drain plug is at the back of the pan, easily accessible), check out https://mustangforums.com/forum/6492576-post19.html

With pictures!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

@10GTPony: If you want more info on changing the oil, including removing the lower engine cover and getting at the filter (the drain plug is at the back of the pan, easily accessible), check out https://mustangforums.com/forum/6492576-post19.html

With pictures!
Wow. Took a look at all the pix (thanks for posting them), read the description, etc.

Sure, I'm a DIY oil changing type of guy with all previous rides, but this looks like some serious work. (Serious as in "pain in the **** work", not as in serious overly complicated.)

Aye carumba.

What happened to the days of a "slide under your car" simple oil filter wrench and drain plug socket wrench 30 minute job? Though I did have to ramp my 3000GT to change its oil (dang thing was so low to the ground), it wasn't much beyond that.

Maybe worth it just to take it in to the dealer... 4 paid oil changes gets me 1 free. Then again, that takes away from the DIY part, which keeps me in touch with what/who touches my vehicle.

T.Y. again, FordEngineer
Old 09-16-2009, 09:21 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

No prob. Make sure you see https://mustangforums.com/forum/6385861-post12.html if you want more of the skinny from that first (admittedly pain in the @#&!% oil change). But once you do it once, you'll get into the groove. The only real 'extra' step is getting that lower engine cover off. And that's just four 7/32 bolts. Not too bad.

Just BE CAREFUL with ramps--see the link above for why my Rhino Ramps don't jive with my front fascia. I just use my jack/jack stands + p-brake, with some wooden cribbing/chocks to be safe. (See picture 1 for where to lift the front end from--this is just behind the front wheel-driver's side in this case. It's the OEM service manual indicated jack point.) With as low as these cars are, just 'sliding under' them isn't an option. It's even close on my Explorer. I can just barely make it, but usually lift the front end a smidgen anyway. Picture 2 shows the car after lifting the front end and removing the lower engine cover. Plenty of room to work. (The oil pan is in the approximate center of the picture, with the faint 'X' on it. The 5/8 drain plug is on the back, facing the rear of the vehicle). Picture 3 better shows the hoses and lines below the filter, and Picture 4 shows the 'tight squeeze' it is to get in there with a band-style filter wrench. A ratcheting style is completely out of the question.

See the oil board for more info, as well. I don't hang out there as much as I do on this board, but there's some good discussion over there on this stuff as well (though not '10 centric)
Attached Thumbnails "Break-in" Period-img_5254.jpg   "Break-in" Period-img_5224.jpg   "Break-in" Period-img_5246.jpg   "Break-in" Period-img_5237.jpg  

Last edited by FordEngineer; 09-16-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Just BE CAREFUL with ramps--see the link above for why my Rhino Ramps don't jive with my front fascia. I just use my jack/jack stands + p-brake, with some wooden cribbing/chocks to be safe. (See picture 1 for where to lift the front end from--this is just behind the front wheel-driver's side in this case. It's the OEM service manual indicated jack point.) With as low as these cars are, just 'sliding under' them isn't an option. It's even close on my Explorer. I can just barely make it, but usually lift the front end a smidgen anyway. Picture 2 shows the car after lifting the front end and removing the lower engine cover. Plenty of room to work. (The oil pan is in the approximate center of the picture, with the faint 'X' on it. The 5/8 drain plug is on the back, facing the rear of the vehicle). Picture 3 better shows the hoses and lines below the filter, and Picture 4 shows the 'tight squeeze' it is to get in there with a band-style filter wrench. A ratcheting style is completely out of the question.
I had the same problems with my 3000GT and my Rhino ramps: the front fascia and ramps just didn't have the clearance.

Additionally, I'd have to get a band wrench for the oil filter (I have the large socket "cup" wrench, which -- as you described -- just won't cut it here.)

I do have a microTorque wrench, so I can properly tighten everything to factory specs (although I wouldn't be able to use it for the oil filter, as I had in the past -- but that's not a big problem -- just about a 1/4 turn past contact, I think?)

Wonder why the oil filter (from the factory) was installed so tight? I doubt they oiled the gasket (adds time to assembly?), but overtighening the filter is just plain unnecessary.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

1+ on Ford Engineers info!!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

You don't need a wrench to put a filter back on, just hand tighten it with all your might. I just use the oil that is already on the surface to lube the gasket. The factory doesn't lube the gasket and must use a machine to tighten the filter, that sucker is way to tight!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SMiller
You don't need a wrench to put a filter back on, just hand tighten it with all your might.
Interesting - is this true?

I ask because with my previous ride (3000GT), the factory OEM manual actually specified a torque specification when tightening it.

Then again, if you can't get a torque wrench up into these 2010 GT models, it's all a moot point. (I've never seen a band wrench with a torque meter on it anyway.)
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I just simply used the owner's manual criteria for break-in. Seemed easy enough to me.

Ford does in fact sell a full synthetic oil. I changed mine at 3K miles and used the Ford filter and full synthetic oil