Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here float the gears on their s197?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

Default Anyone here float the gears on their s197?

I havent heard to much on this subject on the s197s, i know its possible cause my boyfriend has done it a handful of times on my car.

He says he cant really explain how he does it, im just curious on how you knows when to actually shift.

i dont plan on floating the gears and risk something getting F'ed up and having to explain why my transmission is screwed up.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 AM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Are you talking about clutchless shifting? If so, it's just feel. I did it a few times but I don't remember the RPM's in which everything lines up to take it out of gear then again to put it up to the next gear. Once you run up the gear and are ready to shift just put a little pressure on the shifter like you're putting it in neutral. Watch the tach too so you know the RPM in which it happens. Just do the reverse to put it in gear. Your synchros won't like you the first few times you do it until you learn the RPM in which all this happens though.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

What do you mean by floating the gears?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Clutchless shifting is possible but the only way that's ever ever of use is if you've blown your clutch and you're in a locale or scenario where you simply have no other option than to either push or drive without a clutch.
Sure, we've all done it, just to scope it out, and in fact I have driven clutchless cars fair distances, but it's NOT recommendable, even if you can do it smoothly 90% of the time.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

clutchless shifting is what i mean, i call it floating gears.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Are you talking about clutchless shifting? If so, it's just feel. I did it a few times but I don't remember the RPM's in which everything lines up to take it out of gear then again to put it up to the next gear. Once you run up the gear and are ready to shift just put a little pressure on the shifter like you're putting it in neutral. Watch the tach too so you know the RPM in which it happens. Just do the reverse to put it in gear. Your synchros won't like you the first few times you do it until you learn the RPM in which all this happens though.
There is no Magic RPM at which this happens, it's all about the relation between RPM, Gear & road speed.
If you shift without a clutch the trick is to have a good understanding of where the RPM's need to be in the specific gear you're aiming for at that road speed. Sometimes you have to blip the gas a little to get the RPM's up to the right point and sometimes you have to let them drop to intercept the sweet spot.
A gentle pressure on the gear shifter is all that's needed, when the three constituents come together, resistance on the shifter will fall away, and it will simply drop in.

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 09-14-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic44
clutchless shifting is what i mean, i call it floating gears.
How come you never did it, don't know how to do it in fact, but have a name for it? LOL
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 AM
MustangFanatic44
Salad Farts

boyfriend calls it floating the gears. some people call it clutchless shifting, i call it a good way to screw up your transmission.

i think i've done it only one time, well half way, just accidentally knocked it out of 3rd gear.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I used to do it frequently on a Honda civic, many years ago. There were actually some marks on the tack close to the appropriate rpms.
I would get to the proper rpm, then let off the gas a little to take the torque off the driveline, and pop in in the next gear.

No, its not good for the tranny. But if a clutch cable breaks or some other malfunction, it's good to know you can do it to get going faster than say 1st gear.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

To be honest, many truck drivers and race car drivers use this technique to save shifting time. However, both of them know at what RPM the gears line up at, so they mesh properly. If you're off by as little as 200 RPM, you can easily grind a gear. On a street car, don't do it. Tell your boyfriend to use the clutch.

If he's worried about dropping RPM during shifting or taking too long to shift, consider using the heel toe technique.

Quick Reply: Anyone here float the gears on their s197?