Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner...Maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM
ramu3527

Default New owner...Maybe...

Hey everyone. Thanks for reading. I'm new to the forum (love these forums).

I'm kicking around the idea of a 2005-09 Mustang GT. Just looking for some feedback. Is there any real big differences from the '05 to the '09 GT's? I'm thinking just a simple GT and with a few mods and it could be a pretty neat toy. Like exhaust and some computer stuff...this and that and it will be a sweet rig. Any other Ideas? I can't afford the 2010 so used it will be. How about those big stripes I see down the middle of some. Are those painted or stickers and which is better? Lots more questions to come I guess. I really know very little about cars so help a brother out...

Thanks

Ray
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Go for it! I'll leave a lot of these questions to the experts here but I will take a shot at the stripes question.

There are all different kinds of stripes available; it just depends on what you are looking for. As for material, the stripes are available in vinyl as well as they can be painted on. Vinyl is more of the cheap alternative or the "try this out before I commit" stripes while painted on stripes are considered nicer, easier, and permanent. So painted on is better if you are planning on keeping the stripes for a long time as well as if you have the money to get them painted on.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

it would help if I knew how much you had to spend and how you'll be using this GT.

You can easily get a 2005 GT in good condition for under $15,000, less if it has lots of miles or some abuse.
There are some differences as you move up in years. The 2005 has a bit more power, but more bugs and fewer accessories. At around 2007 they gave the Mustang the remote plug for the mp3 player, which is the biggest improvement.
If you want to mod the car get the 2005, but if you want lots of features and will keep it somewhat stock go with the latest model year you can afford.

Don't waste your money on painting stripes. They could get damaged and then you'll have to pay again. Just get the vinyl ones, as those are on all the Shelbys.
You might even want to buy a lightly modded Mustang, but just have it inspected by a pro first.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

LOL MP3, biggest improvement. That made me laugh. It's not a jab at you it's just me laughing because I don't see an MP3 plug as a improvement for anything. It's like saying ( My car is better because I have a cigarette lighter ) lmao...

Meh just my opinion on that though..

OP, I've seen quite a few great deals here and there. I was at the dealership getting my car serviced not too long ago and I went to look at the lot. Found that quite few stangs had a really nice price tag on them. I remember a vista blue from 07 with around 40 k at right around 16k. You can def. find deals out there. Start by cruizing around at the local dealerships and look at what's out there. Besides this forum, use other resources for gathering info, such as autotrader, craigslist etc so you can get an idea of pricing.. and don't forget.. there's ALWAYS room to haggle on price. Good luck and let us know what you get..
Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
it would help if I knew how much you had to spend and how you'll be using this GT.

You can easily get a 2005 GT in good condition for under $15,000, less if it has lots of miles or some abuse.
There are some differences as you move up in years. The 2005 has a bit more power, but more bugs and fewer accessories. At around 2007 they gave the Mustang the remote plug for the mp3 player, which is the biggest improvement.
If you want to mod the car get the 2005, but if you want lots of features and will keep it somewhat stock go with the latest model year you can afford.

Don't waste your money on painting stripes. They could get damaged and then you'll have to pay again. Just get the vinyl ones, as those are on all the Shelbys.
You might even want to buy a lightly modded Mustang, but just have it inspected by a pro first.

Good luck!
Just curious, why would the 2005 GT have more power compared to the rest of the S197 line up? Was there something different on the '05 compared to the rest?
I must say, it is the first time I ever heard mention of this, so I am a bit skeptical.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM
ramu3527

Awesome! Man I love the feedback on these forums. I am on the HD forum and it's the same thing. All the info one could want.

I guess I'm looking to spend around $17,000 tax and all. I usually shop around a lot. I have been on Auto Trader and was checking within 500 miles of me. There are a lot of them out there. A lot of the ones I'm seeing are around $20,000. I'll be looking for a while I guess. I don't pay full price for anything...Lol

I hear ya about the stripes. That makes sense. if they get damaged or I want to change them vinyl would be the way to go. I also have to say as funny as it may sound an auxiliary plug is important. I want to be able to listen to my iPod...

Yeah, I would like to know that also. Why is the '05 more powerful than the rest. And why can't I do mods to a later model? An '07 would be sweet...

One more thing. What is "S197"?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ramu3527
One more thing. What is "S197"?
S197 refers to 2005+ Mustangs. From my understanding, it's just a number, like a project code, that refers to these Mustangs, just like SN95 refers to Mustangs from 1994-2004.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

s197 is the designation for our body style, all the 05-09 are this. Also as others have said, that is the first time many of us have ever heard the 05s are more powerful... I do not belive that to be true until i get some hard evidence to back it up. Also, the vinyl strips, aside from the other reasons given, are the factory option, so unless your looking at one with custom paint, the stripes will be vinyl. Have any specific colors in mind?

Also, dont limit yourself to a 07 for the aux plug. look at it this way. Spend 17k on a 07 with 70k miles or spend 15k on a 06 with 50k miles, and spend 600 on a Pioneer touch screen nav unit with on screen ipod controls...

Whats your zip? I'll just use 500 miles from detroit for now.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-16-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

heres just a few examples for you:

A 07 Roush for 13,900?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Um..... I think the seller probably did that just to make his the first car on the page, maybe retain a lawyer real quick and remind the seller how painful truth in advertisement laws can be....

As for the rest of the real links.
06 with 20k miles for 15.9

06 with 21k miles for 15.9

06 with 45k miles for 12.8

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-16-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:10 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

welcome and have fun finding a great gt!
j