Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-08-2015, 04:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Ground point in engine compartment for jump start

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Default Ground point in engine compartment for jump start

If you are receiving a jump start, what is a good ground point in the engine compartment for attaching the negative clamp on the jumper cable?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

why wouldnt you just attach it to the negative terminal on the battery.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Because the final connection often causes sparks. The dead battery has probably outgassed quite a bit. The sparks can cause the battery to explode. It usually doesn't, but why take the chance?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Never heard of anyones battery exploding during a jumpstart, thought I dont doubt its happened at some point. I would think as long as your properly ventilated you shouldnt have to worry about it. Arent our batteries sealed anyway?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you'd ever had a battery explode on you, you wouldn't be looking for reasons why they might not.

It wasn't from a jump start, but unless my wife managed to throw it away before I could add it into my "garage wardrobe", I've got a nicely splattered jacket I could take a picture of. Some things you don't forget . . .

Norm
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Never heard of anyones battery exploding during a jumpstart, thought I dont doubt its happened at some point. I would think as long as your properly ventilated you shouldnt have to worry about it. Arent our batteries sealed anyway?
No, they are not sealed, unless Motorcraft changed the design in the past six months. They have caps on the top that can be removed so you can top up the water level and check the specific gravity. Even the sealed batteries have vents that allow gas to escape under certain circumstances.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Alrighty then. Did not know that. Never pay attention to the battery. Unless its dead or got stuff growing on it that is.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Just stick it on one of the strut mounts. There is a ground that goes there and they should be touching bare metal. Key is to get something touching bare metal really. Just dont connect it to the battery. I also hear jump starting can hurt the voltage regulator in the alt, but I have only heard that. I have always heard that bump starting the motor can hurt things too.

I would say, charge it if you can and then start it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

If you connect a dead battery that has a bad cell directly to a good battery. The good battery has a chance of getting that same bad cell. It's like a cold for batteries. It's bad. So usually one car will have both pas and neg cable on battery and the other car pos on battery and the other grounded someplace else.

I usually try the strut first though.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
If you connect a dead battery that has a bad cell directly to a good battery. The good battery has a chance of getting that same bad cell. It's like a cold for batteries. It's bad. So usually one car will have both pas and neg cable on battery and the other car pos on battery and the other grounded someplace else.

I usually try the strut first though.

What Norm said about the spark igniting fumes from a venting battery is a real and serious risk.

But this statment here just does not make any sense, unless the ground from the battery is bad anyway, a dead battery would apply a equal drain across the rest of the system, as it is directly connected.
Sorry for the hack job on this picture, but you get the idea.

I would try one of the posts on the back end of one of the screws that holds the intake manifold down. Unpainted, untreaded surface grounding directly to the block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ground point in engine compartment for jump start