Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at the shop that did my install...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default at the shop that did my install...

this was in the parking lot...and i am very disappointed.

the guy that bought it picked the car up from the dealership as a stock GT500. He then drove the car to dallas to the shelby headquarters up there and paid $30000 to get the 725hp SuperSnake package. He had to front the money for the blower, upholstery, body panels, ect. Also had to sign a bunch of paperwork stating that he understood that his warranty was now void. The car got done, he went back to pick it up and they told him he had a balance of X amount of thousands of dollars. I think it was somewhere between $5K and $10K. The guy said, "no, i already paid the $30K"...they told him, "yes, that was for the parts, this is for the labor". Needless to say, the man now has close to $90K invested in this car.

He brought it to Pat at PSI Motorsports and they put it on the dyno. The 725hp package made 530whp. WTF??? Pat put it on the dyno and added a smaller pulley. It now makes 675whp. Pat said that his tune alone added 100whp over the tune from Shelby. Then the pulley went on and added an additional 45whp.

Kinda disappointed that Ford will advertise these SuperSnake kits at 725hp and you lose you warranty to only make 530whp. Sweet *** looking car though.

Oh, and i added a pic of my new little toy. Thats why i was at the shop in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails at the shop that did my install...-img_0689.jpg   at the shop that did my install...-rim.jpg   at the shop that did my install...-back.jpg   at the shop that did my install...-img_0686.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

That is disappointing to say the least and your paying for the Shelby name too. I would have taken the bill to Shelby for reimbursement!!!!!!

Remember that its 725 HP at the CRANK and not RWHP with Shelby motors...if I am wrong then even more reason to be pissed if I owned one of the SS
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

yeah, but even 725 at the crank should be around 615-625whp. and those shelby motors were supposed to be underrated from the factory anyways.

The reason the guy brought the car in in the first place was b/c his buddy with a regular GT500 with a pulley, CAI, and tune was walking all over his brand new $90,000 Super Snake. I'd be all kinds of pissed.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

agreed!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Maybe that is why mygt500 does a lot of the work himself. If you want it done right...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Maybe that is why mygt500 does a lot of the work himself. If you want it done right...

no doubt. i am the same way. but in 10 years mygt500's car is going to be nothing extravagant to anybody but himself (no offense to you buddy, your car is awesome) but the supersnake is registered and built by shelby and will only climb in value. thats why people are sending their GT500's to the shelby factory.

i'm also quite sure that shelby did it more than adequate. They just tune them quite conservatively b/c there is no warranty at all on that $90,000 car and they dont want people to ruin motors by having a too aggressive tune. remember, they have to compensate the tune for all altitudes and climate differences nation wide. ie. a car in colorado is gonna be tuned differently than a car here in texas so they have to provide a tune that will run fine in all climates...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:56 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

He should have just built this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjffxb2s320

No disappointment there!

Justin sure built a sick car there. I wonder if it's still street-able. That would be cool.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 09-17-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I guess I can't spell Justin. :/
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Shelby doesn't impress me. For $30,000, dude could have had a lot more power, without the autograph.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 PM
'00project
1st Gear Member

I wonder if it was just bad QA; I also read that it costs more than $30K to have it upgraded to Super Snake.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by mac10chap
no doubt. i am the same way. but in 10 years mygt500's car is going to be nothing extravagant to anybody but himself (no offense to you buddy, your car is awesome) but the supersnake is registered and built by shelby and will only climb in value. thats why people are sending their GT500's to the shelby factory.

i'm also quite sure that shelby did it more than adequate. They just tune them quite conservatively b/c there is no warranty at all on that $90,000 car and they dont want people to ruin motors by having a too aggressive tune. remember, they have to compensate the tune for all altitudes and climate differences nation wide. ie. a car in colorado is gonna be tuned differently than a car here in texas so they have to provide a tune that will run fine in all climates...
No offense taken and in 10 yrs- yes the SS will be worth more esp since it is likely that Carroll Shelby will have passed away (God bless him and hope he doesn't but he cant live forever) and the value IMO of all Shelby's will go up or remain the same. Your still paying for the name IMO and 30K can go alot further at any custom shop other then Shelby's (I can name 10 right now that can out do Shelby)

On that note I love anything having to do with Shelby and the man himself is a legend and his position in the car world is no doubt going down in the history books and he will be remembered by anyone that has any type of knowledge of cars. I want my own "real" GT500 (2010+) and I will mod it from there at the custom tuning and installing shop that I trust and for much less then the guy that bought the SS option for.

To each his own is my point and even if I had the money it would not go to Shelby Motors for a 30K upgrade that yielded 530 RWHP. I am at 465 RWHP right now with my GT and it cost way less then any stock GT500 and I get way more, looks, compliments, and interest on the street and at shows then any GT500 I have come across at shows or on the street.(yes even SS GT500's)

anyway rant off.......

Quick Reply: at the shop that did my install...