Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC Comes thru for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Cyball

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
I don't know. Work has its good days and its bad days, but I guess you get that everywhere. A lot of my time is spent arguing with managers about why they shouldn't kill a good idea just because they wouldn't use it.

...then again, I think all my ideas are good, so I guess I'm biased.
Since you're talking about ideas...

Why can't the Nav unit be used to store and set different tunes? Isn't it on the CAM bus and isn't that what you plug the tuners into? Couldn't it be used to display different engine stats and such? I'm sure there's WAY plenty of good info that a lot owners would just love to see/tweak.

Couldn't Ford provide some APIs for vendors to add different features to SYNC? I'd imagine that Ford would need to charge a decent licensing fee to keep Joe Coder out of the box and the licensees would probably need to sign NDAs, but I would think there'd be more than a few companies to jump on board. (Of course, what the heck do I know about it...not much really.)

Anyway, just thinking out loud...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cyball
Since you're talking about ideas...

Why can't the Nav unit be used to store and set different tunes? Isn't it on the CAM bus and isn't that what you plug the tuners into? Couldn't it be used to display different engine stats and such? I'm sure there's WAY plenty of good info that a lot owners would just love to see/tweak.
Well, the simple sort answer is that Ford doesn't want you doing tunes or recalibration. They kind of turn a blind eye if you do, but it can cause warranty headaches should it ever lead down that path. And tunes (I believe) are stored on the PCM--the CAN bus is just a network for all the modules (including the PCM and ACM) to talk to each other on. There IS interesting data that is broadcast on the CAN bus, but most customers don't care and don't want to see it/don't want to be confused if it's displayed to them. A lot of people who buy these cars (or others, for that matter) don't think like you or I do and don't want that info presented to them. The good news, however, is that there is a way to display calibration data on your message center (display in your IP cluster). I forget what the button-sequence is to get it, but next time I go out to the car I'll check and get it to you.

Couldn't Ford provide some APIs for vendors to add different features to SYNC? I'd imagine that Ford would need to charge a decent licensing fee to keep Joe Coder out of the box and the licensees would probably need to sign NDAs, but I would think there'd be more than a few companies to jump on board. (Of course, what the heck do I know about it...not much really.)
You should really stick around to see the next version of SYNC due out next year...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Well, the simple sort answer is that Ford doesn't want you doing tunes or recalibration. They kind of turn a blind eye if you do, but it can cause warranty headaches should it ever lead down that path. And tunes (I believe) are stored on the PCM--the CAN bus is just a network for all the modules (including the PCM and ACM) to talk to each other on. There IS interesting data that is broadcast on the CAN bus, but most customers don't care and don't want to see it/don't want to be confused if it's displayed to them. A lot of people who buy these cars (or others, for that matter) don't think like you or I do and don't want that info presented to them. The good news, however, is that there is a way to display calibration data on your message center (display in your IP cluster). I forget what the button-sequence is to get it, but next time I go out to the car I'll check and get it to you.

You should really stick around to see the next version of SYNC due out next year...
The update will be passed along to the 2010 owners as well right??
Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

I forget what the button-sequence is to get it, but next time I go out to the car I'll check and get it to you.
First, make sure the vehicle is off. Off-off: Key off and out of the cylinder, door opened and closed to reset accessory timers. Then, you have to hold the 'Setup' and 'Reset' buttons (above the headlight switch), then insert the key and turn the vehicle on (full ignition, not ACC), and release the buttons. The message center will display 'ENGINEERING MODE' and start with a gauge test. Pressing the 'Reset' button on the controls above the headlight switch will cycle you through a bunch of information on the CAN bus. Stuff like actual engine RPMs, actual coolant temp, fuel levels at each pump (there are 2 pumps since the fuel tank is saddle-shaped to accommodate the driveshaft), and a bunch of other stuff. To get out of engineering mode, turn the vehicle off. (Off-off, as defined above).

Originally Posted by wilkinda
The update will be passed along to the 2010 owners as well right??
Should be. All vehicles with SYNC v3 (Traffic, Directions, and Information) compatibility should be eligible for v4, 'whatever that entails'...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Cyball

First, make sure the vehicle is off. Off-off: Key off and out of the cylinder, door opened and closed to reset accessory timers. Then, you have to hold the 'Setup' and 'Reset' buttons (above the headlight switch), then insert the key and turn the vehicle on (full ignition, not ACC), and release the buttons. The message center will display 'ENGINEERING MODE' and start with a gauge test. Pressing the 'Reset' button on the controls above the headlight switch will cycle you through a bunch of information on the CAN bus. Stuff like actual engine RPMs, actual coolant temp, fuel levels at each pump (there are 2 pumps since the fuel tank is saddle-shaped to accommodate the driveshaft), and a bunch of other stuff. To get out of engineering mode, turn the vehicle off. (Off-off, as defined above).
Cool. I'll try it when I get the car (next week supposedly). Thanks.

(Still think y'all should have an iFord store though. ;-))
Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

(Still think y'all should have an iFord store though. ;-))
You never know...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

You never know...
Hey Chris, I assume my Fusion will also be updated.

Every time I see your sig it reminds me of one of my early pix of my car. What do you think?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
NickelDime
1st Gear Member

+1 from the OP.

I use it frequently without going to the web. Took me right to my destination today by just speaking the name of the restaurant. 2 gripes (FordEngineer knows) - disabling voice guidance (just letting the screen and tones take you there) works, but it mutes EVERYTHING every time you are prompted for a period of 1-5 seconds (the same period one normally receives guidance), and traffic is not integrated with directions. The garmin gives you a 'traffic optimized' route, Sync merely provides you with the traffic info on 1-2 different routes, but there is no apparent way to let the system auto route you for traffic conditions.

v4, perhaps ?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingman75
Hey Chris, I assume my Fusion will also be updated.
Should be. NGN might take a bit longer due to the different interface, though.

Originally Posted by wingman75
Every time I see your sig it reminds me of one of my early pix of my car. What do you think?
I think that's a good lookin' car!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickelDime
+1 from the OP.

I use it frequently without going to the web. Took me right to my destination today by just speaking the name of the restaurant. 2 gripes (FordEngineer knows) - disabling voice guidance (just letting the screen and tones take you there) works, but it mutes EVERYTHING every time you are prompted for a period of 1-5 seconds (the same period one normally receives guidance), and traffic is not integrated with directions. The garmin gives you a 'traffic optimized' route, Sync merely provides you with the traffic info on 1-2 different routes, but there is no apparent way to let the system auto route you for traffic conditions.

v4, perhaps ?
Perhaps. Gripe #1 may be resolved sooner.

And you'll need to use the web for non-POI destinations (e.g. residential addresses), or newer POIs that haven't made it to the master database yet.

Quick Reply: SYNC Comes thru for me